Bryston 2B SST vs Cyrus MonoX/XPower

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Still searching for a power amplifier for my KEF LS50 I came across a Bryston 2B SST for about the same price as a pair of Cyrus MonoX or XPowers. Not able to compare the two I was wondering how the Bryston 2B SST compares to a pair of MonoX or XPowers? I once had a Bryston 2B SST in my setup for a week and was very impressed by the clarity, detail, transparancy, speed and bass control. But i like the sound of Cyrus too. ;)

I intend to use the power amp with my current Cyrus 6XP used as preamp. Later I will buy a dedicated preamp

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Both the Cyrus and Bryston are great power amps. In my opinion the Mono Xs are a better sounding option than the X powers.

However, I think both the 2B SST and Mono X are a bit of overkill to drive the LS50s. But if you're getting them for a good price...

The Bryston is a workhorse in the best sense. It's powerful, neutral and digs up lots of detail. We've used a 4B SST2 as reference for years. Where as the Cyrus sounds more organic and a little more detailed to me. It doesn't quite have the scale and outright punch of the 2B SST, though. I think you'd need one of the newer Mono-X 300s for that.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I know you’re comparing a relatively entry level Bryston to a top of the line Cyrus but I just don’t think I could ever opt for Cyrus over Bryston, it is just another league.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I have listened to Mono Xs and a 4BSST2 back to back hooked up to a Cyrus Pre. The Mono X where faster and more exciting, but the Bryston went louder. I preferred the Cyrus.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to throw the Parasound Halo A21 into the mix. Stonkingly good amps are JC Halos (for solid state,lol). Or look at Anthem.

Crikey are you wishing to put they Kefs into orbit !!.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Ketan Bharadia said:
However, I think both the 2B SST and Mono X are a bit of overkill to drive the LS50s. But if you're getting them for a good price...

I currently use a Cyrus 6XP which i like a lot, but i suspect that adding a bit more power will even be better. Would adding a Cyrus XPower be a more sensible solution, no overkill? Or are there better solutions?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I started my latest HiFi journey with a Cyrus 8VS2, then went for an X-Power to add more oomph. Then I switched to a Pre XVS with Mono X's followed by Mono X300's. I have settled, (for now.....), on a Bryston 4BSST2 with a BP26-DA Pre/DAC combo.

I personally thought that the 8VS2 with the X-Power was the best sounding of the Cyrus options I ran over the years. However the Bryston is in a different league with much greater scale and speed than any of the Cyrus kit. Actually that's not fair as the Mono X300's were very quick and highly detailed although I still preffered the 8VS2/X Power combo over the Mono X300's for shear musicality and foot tappingness.

Bryston is a class above the Cyrus options you are considering. Your best bet as always is to try them both if you can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts