Bristol show - my thoughts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
chn68b said:
One things for sure, its really not acceptable to be expected to wait almost an hour for one audition. Even just 2 20 minute shows an hour would be an improvement and allow plenty of time to hydrate etc.

Most shows were every half an hour. I don't know how frequent WHF's shows were. I walked past, and saw a relatively short queue and a 15 minute wait for a Sunday and took it!

Surely it's not beyond the wit of man or beast to work out a ticketing system, so that people pick up a ticket for a timed dem, then can wander off around the show and see some more exhibitors, safe in the knowledge that there'll be a seat for them at the appointed time?

Spending half of your time at a show standing in lines seems a real waste of time, and the current system probably only appeals to those exhibitors who want to show how popular/busy they are.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Take that up with everyone but Pioneer, who were doing just that. The problem there is that you all then get people who lose track of time or don't turn up, so you'll end up with empty seats, and you can't fill them as there's no one outside waiting!

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Take that up with everyone but Pioneer, who were doing just that. The problem there is that you all then get people who lose track of time or don't turn up, so you'll end up with empty seats, and you can't fill them as there's no one outside waiting!

I'm sure there'll always be people waiting for any no-shows or just turning up to fill any empty seats if you have a demonstration that's compelling enough

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you on this Spiney, I didn't bother too much else to see. Should of had a seperate room so at least you could see the product, they have enough money. Smacks me as they think they dont need to its called a show surley you want to show as many people as possible your product? Yes it annoyed me.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
I'm sure there'll always be people waiting for any no-shows or just turning up to fill any empty seats if you have a demonstration that's compelling enough
So just as the show is about to start, there's a couple of empty seats so you let a few in without tickets. Then, a minute later, those with tickets turn up because they got held up in the hallway, and they're not happy. At least with a queue, if you're at the front, you get in, and there's no questions about who should or shouldn't be there. I would do the ticket system but not let in anyone without a ticket, and if there's spaces, there's spaces. Although, if the amount of spaces were more than two/three, it questions whether it is worth demonstrating to empty seats. With a queue, there are no spaces.

Slides and seesaws.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
So just as the show is about to start, there's a couple of empty seats so you let a few in without tickets. Then, a minute later, those with tickets turn up because they got held up in the hallway, and they're not happy. At least with a queue, if you're at the front, you get in, and there's no questions about who should or shouldn't be there. I would do the ticket system but not let in anyone without a ticket, and if there's spaces, there's spaces. Although, if the amount of spaces were more than two/three, it questions whether it is worth demonstrating to empty seats. With a queue, there are no spaces.

Can't help feeling we're getting close to overthinking this, but surely it's incumbent on those with tickets for a particular session to turn up in good time for their 'appointment', and if they don't, then tough. Perhaps you'd need a note on the ticket to that effect.

Or just forget about the idea of closed-door demonstrations altogether: personally I find them really off-putting when going round a show, and am unlikely to return to a room I can't enter when I want to.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Not overthinking, it's just that there's too many variables. At least with a closed demo, you are in a controlled environment - most people walk through the open door of a hotel roo, have a peak over the shoulder of the people standing in the way, shrug their shoulders after hearing boomy bass (as you would do in that space in the room), then walk off.

jerryapril@msn.com said:
I really liked:

1/ Monitor Audio Gold 300 on Moon 700i and CDP - best sound I've ever heard. Room full.

2/ Hegel: Best informative and frank presentation. NO timed audition. Mr. *Hegel* started from basic integrated amp over to Hegel 160 then would add seperate DACs and then thru power amp. Simple, freindly presentation. By the way, KEF LS50 sounded amazing, buy they do must be driven quite hard. Hegel 160 sounds good and is not expensive + you get a DAC and net / air stream.

Hi ja

Good rooms and both also full on Friday and Saturday.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS