Brio-R + KEF?

reickmey

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

So, I have a Brio-R amp currently powering my pair of old JBL E80's.

I have these hooked up to my music hall 2.2 TT and im looking to upgrade.

I was looking at the KEF Q900's a buddy is selling to me for $1000 for the the pair(great deal!)...would the Brio-R be a good match for the Q900's?

I know the Q900's can go sub 4ohms at times...let me know what you think.

I would be willing to get a better amp as well.

Thanks,

Ryan

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Pesonally, I would be looking at the R Series, and would rather have LS50s / R300s (even though they appear smaller).

The Q Series are OK, but the the R Series are imo exceptional....just a thought.

reickmey

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I thought the sound quality of the Q900 wasnt bad at all...not as good as the R700 but remember I'm looking about a third the price here.

Lets say I already bought the Q900's :) which amp should I look at if I was going to upgrade?

Thanks,

Ryan

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
reickmey said:
Hmm, I thought the sound quality of the Q900 wasnt bad at all...not as good as the R700 but remember I'm looking about a third the price here.

Lets say I already bought the Q900's :) which amp should I look at if I was going to upgrade?

Thanks,

Ryan

In that case, lets say you should live with it for a while and take it from there.

reickmey

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I like your moves, CnoEvil...will do.

I'm planning on shooting for a much larger overall upgrade for my 30th birthday in a few years...so more to come.

Thanks guys!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
reickmey said:

I'm planning on shooting for a much larger overall upgrade for my 30th birthday in a few years...so more to come.

Thanks guys!

You must have got me in a more moderate mood......I usually have a reputation for encouraging fiscal recklessness.....though there's still time!
evil.png

CnoEvil said:
reickmey said:

Thanks guys!

You must have got me in a more moderate mood......I usually have a reputation for encouraging fiscal recklessness.....though there's still time!
evil.png

Hi-fi is bad for your *ahem* wealth.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes the Kandy K2 is good value now, seen it for £645 new recently, certainly more power than the Rega. The Rega should be OK fow low Ohms, "Rega claims the new output stage can reasonably drive outputs “as low as 1.7 ohms.”

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
Yes the Kandy K2 is good value now, seen it for £645 new recently, certainly more power than the Rega. The Rega should be OK fow low Ohms, "Rega claims the new output stage can reasonably drive outputs “as low as 1.7 ohms.”

Correct the Brio R is quite capable of driving 4 ohm speakers

empacher

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
BigH said:

Correct the Brio R is quite capable of driving 4 ohm speakers

yes

Geds

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have 4ohm rated speakers too and did look closely at the Brio-R. FWIW the manual does note "continued high level use into 4ohm may cause the case to exceed 40degC above the ambient temperature". So I erred on the side of caution (over caution?) and didn't get the Brio. But perhaps more a problem here in Aus than the UK? ;)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Geds said:
I have 4ohm rated speakers too and did look closely at the Brio-R. FWIW the manual does note "continued high level use into 4ohm may cause the case to exceed 40degC above the ambient temperature". So I erred on the side of caution (over caution?) and didn't get the Brio. But perhaps more a problem here in Aus than the UK? ;)

Some people in the UK heat the whole house with class A amps.

FWIW I think we need to keep the Rega Brio-R in perspective. I'm sure this'll get up the noses of the Brio-R camp, although there's no intention to ruffle any feathers.

From the awards and adulation heaped upon the Brio-R, don't doubt it is immensely capable, but it is a sub-£500 and 50 watt amp. Sure it will drive 4 ohm speakers with aplomb but it will have its limits, like ANY other amp. If you want to shake the walls down look elsewhere.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
FWIW I think we need to keep the Rega Brio-R in perspective. I'm sure this'll get up the noses of the Brio-R camp, although there's no intention to ruffle any feathers.

From the awards and adulation heaped upon the Brio-R, don't doubt it is immensely capable, but it is a sub-£500 and 50 watt amp. Sure it will drive 4 ohm speakers with aplomb but it will have its limits, like ANY other amp. If you want to shake the walls down look elsewhere.

Not here no! I agree with you completely - at the end of the its a £498 amp - albeit probably the best one under £650!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts