Brands you dislike-The hi-fi hate thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
There are not really brand's I dislike. It's more a mather of fitting my taste...On the other hand there ar brand where I don't really uderstand there philosophie, an that would be a reason not buying there stuff

I do believe whatever brand you're going to there have to be some coherence an I don't only mean in hi-fi

ex you buy an Aple compuiter you know an I phone will work well with it it's not an obligation as there are always work arrounds for other phone's.....

If you buy an expensive kitchen par example I guess it's not only to eat micro wave food etc..

Any way IMO almost every brand make good an bad stuff

let' say I was seduced by every item I tried of musical fidelity exept the M6 500i, but that doesn't mean it was bad it was just not for me.

Or I love my Sony tv but I don't like there vario's or micro systems but I'm far from thinking Sony is a bad brand....

shafesk said:
Lol....well most people on this thread have started saying that they don't hate any brand and yet went on to say something about a particular product/brand. The aim is not to bad mouth any brand but mention some products you think have terrible vfm. We all have had our share of disappointments....let it all out :rant:

No not really. Just because you (and I) think a certain product or brand is poor VFM, there are others that don't.

B&O are a perfect example of this: Pound-for-pound basis they don't do it for me, but a family friend absolutely loves them. Same with Bose and all the others that've been mentioned. All brands have a target market, and many people wouldn't buy anything else. They are there for a reason. Aren't we lucky to have so much choice.

Or put another way: Define 'poor VFM'?

Like the auction sites, what one person sees as "gold" is another's junk.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
To be fair the comments on the thread so far have been quite mild. I do think it's a pointless question though. Or maybe a destructive one. We hi-fi folks are our own worst enemies most of the time, with rivalries more intense than a Benn / Eubanks fight (look it up if you're not as old as me!). All it does is invite ridicule from outside, making us more insular and ultimately contributing to the gradual withering of interest in audio.

Why not just agree to differ, one man's meat is another's poison and all that (ditto women's)?

OK, maybe a bit naive, maybe I should focus on something easier, like world peace or feeding Africa.

(steps off soapbox...................)

n.b. not meant personally shafesk, you just picked a favourite subject of mine!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
'Hate' is rather a strong word and in the context of this thread, it implies a particularly bad experience with a product, without satisfactory resolution.

I have never had any really bad experiences, or ones that could not be resolved with a bit of communication. There are plenty of companies outside of the hifi world though, whos customer services might fall into the category though.

Regarding hifi, there are plenty of manufacturers I would not buy from, either because of price, or what I would consider erroneous claims, but that is not what the OP is about.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
shafesk said:
Lol....well most people on this thread have started saying that they don't hate any brand and yet went on to say something about a particular product/brand. The aim is not to bad mouth any brand but mention some products you think have terrible vfm. We all have had our share of disappointments....let it all out :rant:

No not really. Just because you (and I) think a certain product or brand is poor VFM, there are others that don't.

B&O are a perfect example of this: Pound-for-pound basis they don't do it for me, but a family friend absolutely loves them. Same with Bose and all the others that've been mentioned. All brands have a target market, and many people wouldn't buy anything else. They are there for a reason. Aren't we lucky to have so much choice.

Or put another way: Define 'poor VFM'?

Like the auction sites, what one person sees as "gold" is another's junk.

Well said +1 :clap:

As to the price tag, how cheap is cheap and how dear is dear ?? The term "cheap", "expensive" or "vfm" are all subjective.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
The problem with discussions like this one is that we don't all judge brands using the same criteria. What I look and listen for is not the exact same as what you look and listen for.

I might think X brand is rubbish and another poster think it is brilliant. So once I say that I hate X brand because of blah blah blah, then the other poster will need to counter and say that I'm wrong, and it all goes downhill...

The brands I've had the worst experiences with are all well respected award winning brands. The way I see it is just because those brands don't do it for me (at least not in the systems they were in) doesn't mean they are bad. Maybe just not my cup of tea.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Apple - Mixed feelings really. I have an iPhone which is OK, but there closed in only compatible with apple services annoys me, I also think there products are vastly overpriced.

just want to at somthing on this one wether you like the products/os or not taken aside

7j ago I bought the first version of the intel mac book pro it costed a lot of money an every body said I was crazy

but take in consideration that it's still running today an perfopm faster than my HP elitebook 8540p (pro version) (core i7) I recieved a few month's ago from work.

If I look at it like that I don't feel like my mac was overpriced.

An other example my father doring that time bought 4 pc an spended more money in they end the only thing I had to buy wher portable hardrives as 100gb to day is a bit slim.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For me it is any lack of synergy between brands that either give a smooth boring sound; or a bright, forward and analytical one.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Where have all the Arcam and B& W bashers gone. :? Come on this is your golden opportunity. :twisted:

Sorry here I come again

try to find a better speaker as the 683 at the same price.....

I'm not talking about the rest of there ranges as than it become way to personal depending on your taste

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would not say hate, but dont get on with their products.

Well, here goes:

AVI - Dont agree with their company values (I like the legacy stuff though)

Cyrus - Never get on with their amps

B&W - Always have boomy bass, horrible treble

Monitor Audio - As above

Apple - Dont agree with their company values

Maybe I am in the wrong forum..... :rofl: Mind, most if not all of their products are not really aimed at me anyway.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Where have all the Arcam and B& W bashers gone. :? Come on this is your golden opportunity. :twisted:
Here I am, well BnW not Arcam basher...but to be honest its just my sound preference...I think BnWs sound a tad (ok not a tad, a lot) boomy to me and bright to me. But, they have got a cult following and the world's best studios use diamonds to master their recordings....so they must be doing something good.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
celsius said:
loewe-overpriced but still look great

olive-overpriced,unreliable and appaling aftercare having to wait until 9pm to phone usa
I love Loewe, maybe someday I can afford one too...you have to admit very few tvs sound as good as they look...in Harrods I was like "Where in the world are they hiding the home theater?"

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
As it was clarified, I will get specific about the products (if it is not the whole product range)

B&W - Love the brand.. Hate CM series floor standers, 686 bookshelf - disaster.

Rotel - Their Class D amplification for Stereo is a joke

Grant Fidelity - TubeDAC - Transformer noise is not acceptable

Astin Trew - Power Amplifier - Transformer noise not good and if transformer hums it is a poor design. Accept it

Marantz - PM-11 - Too analytical and clinical for the price

Dynaudio - Bass is good but bass is not the only thing. Balance is importnat. Especiallu Contour S1.4

AVI - Great product concept - not a happy end result. Annoying company philosophy. (The attitude may suit Apple but not a HiFi maker, IMO)

All enthusiasts who say their choice of brands is/are the only way to listen to music

Windows - for making buggy software and making people think that bug fix is way of life, which should not be there in first place

OSX - Great software but why so much attitude and closedness? May be two versions - one for the fan boys who love to be trapped and two for possible others with less restrictiveness (even at the cost of less direct support from apple)

America - Why are you spreading so much fear and what are you afraid of? (There is not even a cold war :? )

Spotify - Why cant' you put the bit rate number for each track for premium members? (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Onkyo - Great products. Please get a designer!

Speaker Makers (some to many) - Plain Boxes strapped with Loudspeakers are not cool. Most of us have lives with wives or otherwise, we love to have beatiful prodcuts in living rooms

Bose - Don't get me started

pro makers - We love you. You know there is a large market out here which spends crazy amount of money for the hobby. Get you r products living room acceptable.

That is for now. Feels better :)

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
I would not say hate, but dont get on with their products.

Well, here goes:

AVI - Dont agree with their company values (I like the legacy stuff though)

Cyrus - Never get on with their amps

B&W - Always have boomy bass, horrible treble

Monitor Audio - As above

Apple - Dont agree with their company values

Maybe I am in the wrong forum..... :rofl: Mind, most if not all of their products are not really aimed at me anyway.
Can you explain the company value situation?

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
It's not so much brands I dislike as the attitude of HiFi dealers. Twenty years ago when I used to go into dealers a lot, all they would talk about/demo was Linn-Naim combos and if you wanted anything else your sanity was questioned. A few months ago when I was staring my thought process for a new AV amp, my local delaer wouldn't discuss anything other than an Anthem - MA Apex combo. So I walked away. They've lost >£5k because of it.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
WishTree said:
As it was clarified, I will get specific about the products (if it is not the whole product range)

B&W - Love the brand.. Hate CM series floor standers, 686 bookshelf - disaster.

Rotel - Their Class D amplification for Stereo is a joke

Grant Fidelity - TubeDAC - Transformer noise is not acceptable

Astin Trew - Power Amplifier - Transformer noise not good and if transformer hums it is a poor design. Accept it

Marantz - PM-11 - Too analytical and clinical for the price

Dynaudio - Bass is good but bass is not the only thing. Balance is importnat. Especiallu Contour S1.4

AVI - Great product concept - not a happy end result. Annoying company philosophy. (The attitude may suit Apple but not a HiFi maker, IMO)

All enthusiasts who say their choice of brands is/are the only way to listen to music

Windows - for making buggy software and making people think that bug fix is way of life, which should not be there in first place

OSX - Great software but why so much attitude and closedness? May be two versions - one for the fan boys who love to be trapped and two for possible others with less restrictiveness (even at the cost of less direct support from apple)

America - Why are you spreading so much fear and what are you afraid of? (There is not even a cold war :? )

Spotify - Why cant' you put the bit rate number for each track for premium members? (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Onkyo - Great products. Please get a designer!

Speaker Makers (some to many) - Plain Boxes strapped with Loudspeakers are not cool. Most of us have lives with wives or otherwise, we love to have beatiful prodcuts in living rooms

Bose - Don't get me started

pro makers - We love you. You know there is a large market out here which spends crazy amount of money for the hobby. Get you r products living room acceptable.

That is for now. Feels better :)
It is strangely therapeutic isn't it? Well here are my thoughts on what you said

B&W - Love the brand.. Hate CM series floor standers, 686 bookshelf - disaster----thank you, couldn't agree more. I don't know why I still like the brand though. Did the CM series sound flat and lifeless to you too? I was hoping it was the stupid amp the hi-fi dealer was using when I demoed.

Marantz - PM-11 - Too analytical and clinical for the price----I don't normally associate marantz with clinical but I haven't heard the PM11, its strange they would go for a clinical sound for once.

Dynaudio - Bass is good but bass is not the only thing. Balance is importnat----I partly agree, I think the Dynaudio's bass is far more liveable than BnW's bass though. I have managed to achieve a great sound by careful positioning on a DM 2/7 but bass heavy partnering equipment does them no favours. If you be patient with them they are crackling speakers for the money.

America - Why are you spreading so much fear and what are you afraid of? (There is not even a cold war :? )----Not a hi-fi brand :p but absolutely agreed :)

Spotify - Why cant' you put the bit rate number for each track for premium members? (Please correct me if I am wrong)----I believe all premium users get the same bit rate which is 320 kbps.

Bose - Don't get me started----I would love to hear you out on this one

Seems like this could be the start of a beautiful friendship :cheers:

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Company Values, I dont like how they sell their products, marketing and BS over real Customer Service and Integrity.

I know they have to make money, but they wont be using any of mine for their profits :wave:

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
philipjohnwright said:
We hi-fi folks are our own worst enemies most of the time, with rivalries more intense than a Benn / Eubanks fight (look it up if you're not as old as me!). All it does is invite ridicule from outside, making us more insular and ultimately contributing to the gradual withering of interest in audio.

Why not just agree to differ...

Aye.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts