Box reduction & better sound..

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm moving flat (again) very soon, was contemplating when to start dismantling the hi-fi then I started wondering whether I could reduce the box count and get better sound at the same time..

System currently comprises of:

Computer, DAC (benchmark DAC1), Music server/CD player (Olive 3HD), DAB/FM radio tuner (Teac T-H3000), Intergrated Amp (roksan Kandy).

Temptation is to sell the entire lot, replace with something like the Naim Uniti (DAC functionality is still required.) - would this be a wise move or an expensive mistake?

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
No experience on the Uniti, but from specs you'd be going from 125 watts / channel to 50, so you might notice a reduction in clarity.

A different option that might give you want is pairing your Olive with a pair of active speakers. Go for a pair of AVI ADMs and you get a built in pre-amp and DAC too for maximum box reduction.

Btw, just wondering why the need for the DAB tuner, doesn't the Olive give you wi-fi radio?

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
If you use PC to DAC why to you need the Olive?and the p.c. can run Tune in radio so why the need for the Tuner?

Unless the PC is big and bulky, you could run everything off a Netbook and DAC. .

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you look aroundd there are quite a few option as regards Integrated amplifiers with built in DAC's

So PC > Amp> Speakers....

Which Incidently is what I am seriously considering.

matthewpiano

I think a one-box system is very much a viable option these days and companies like Naim are making it very easy to achieve superb sound quality without filling your room with equipment. It is certainly an avenue I would be exploring by audition if I were in your position Cpt. Issues.

Cpt.Issues said:
Hi All,

I'm moving flat (again) very soon, was contemplating when to start dismantling the hi-fi then I started wondering whether I could reduce the box count and get better sound at the same time..

System currently comprises of:

Computer, DAC (benchmark DAC1), Music server/CD player (Olive 3HD), DAB/FM radio tuner (Teac T-H3000), Intergrated Amp (roksan Kandy).

Temptation is to sell the entire lot, replace with something like the Naim Uniti (DAC functionality is still required.) - would this be a wise move or an expensive mistake?

Echoing Matthew's sentiments: Yes, modern all-in-ones are a viable alternative, but as always, you need to do a direct comparison before jacking in your bundles.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
moon said:
If you use PC to DAC why to you need the Olive?and the p.c. can run Tune in radio so why the need for the Tuner?

Unless the PC is big and bulky, you could run everything off a Netbook and DAC. .

+1

Your solution seems to be a mini ATX Pc or Mac mini, DAC1 and actives of some description.

Sell the rest to fund the actives.

I have a similar setup.

SteveR750

WinterRacer said:
No experience on the Uniti, but from specs you'd be going from 125 watts / channel to 50, so you might notice a reduction in clarity.

A different option that might give you want is pairing your Olive with a pair of active speakers. Go for a pair of AVI ADMs and you get a built in pre-amp and DAC too for maximum box reduction.

Btw, just wondering why the need for the DAB tuner, doesn't the Olive give you wi-fi radio?

Unless you're playing it loud, then this is unlikely, or at worst minimal. Most people are surprised how good standard spotify sounds for example.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
WinterRacer said:

So you are listening to radio and you lose your internet service, or the radio station's server goes down or get's swamped. Ooh! Look i've got FM, and DAB as backup, click, job done.

That's why.

(In my case I have Freeview Radio as another fall-back and even a wind-up radio and a Vita Audio R1 Deluxe with charged battery pack if the mains goes :) )

I would never leave anything as important - to me - as radio to the vagaries of just one platform. If the local transmitter falls over, I have the internet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts