Bose or fatman?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I listened to the new version of the Bose ipod dock and was pretty impressed with the performance from such a tidy pacage. I don't know how this compares to the previous model but it has the advantage of being rechargable and portable.

I was wondering how this compares to the fatman idock sonically as I will have difficulty finding it in a shop local to me so I can audition. I am looking for something to serve as my main hifi until I can get around to splashing out on a full system, so keen to get something pretty good.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We gave the original Bose SoundDock 4 stars (at £250), knocking off a star for the relatively steep price and the lack of a line input for non-iPod players. However, we liked its refined sonic performance and room-filling sound.

Don't know how the new one compares in sound terms, but as you point out it's rechargeable and portable, which you can't really say of the Fatman. But we love the Fatman's sound, which is why we made it our 2007 MP3 Accessory Product of the Year.

I guess much depends on how much you value portability vs sound. The Fatman is more like a mini hi-fi, and the amp's character is ideal for compressed digital music. Vocals sound lovely, with surprising detail and body, and there's no shortage of attack, delivering rock and dance with attitude.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much

What about speakers? Wouldany decent speakers do or do you need a specific type?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I heard the Fatman, and thought the sound quality was excellent. This was with the standard speakers included in the package. There is also the iTube Fatman Carbon Edition to consider, and the very highly rated B & W Zeppelin speakers too. I have not heard the B & W, and am really confused which one to get from the two. Any advice would be really helpful.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have a Bose and it is great for weekends away, but that is all. At home it stays in the cupboard as it's nowhere near the standard of a separates system as you would expect.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Murdo Mathewson"]
I would suggest you opt for the Fatman product. By the way, I handle PR for Fatman....

Regards

Murdo
[/quote]

I haven't been able to get this month's mag yet - what are the reliability issues that I read about somewhere in these fora...?
(I am a new owner!)
thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We tested the Fatman iTube in the March issue, and although it sounds terrific, we went through three - yes, three - docks before we got one that worked, and even that one gave up the ghost at the end of the test.

So we docked the Fatman a star, and gave it four, not five. Apparently Fatman are writing to us to clarify why so many units went wrong. Clearly we remain concerned about reliability.

Murdo Mathewson

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="shonamh"][quote user="Murdo Mathewson"]

I would suggest you opt for the Fatman product. By the way, I handle PR for Fatman....

Regards

Murdo
[/quote] I haven't been able to get this month's mag yet - what are the reliability issues that I read about somewhere in these fora...? (I am a new owner!) thanks[/quote]

Fatman remains confident in its product. If you have any further questions, please drop me an email at murdo@andygilesassociates.co.uk

Apologies for delay in replying, I guess I need to brush up my tech skills....

Regards
Murdo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts