bookshelf vs floor speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
soon i want to buy a few hi fi components at the cheaper end of the range and thought about getting the tannoy f1 speakers as they had good reviews, but i'm thinking if i buy stands too then i might as well just buy some better floorstanders that wont need stands?

what are the pros and cons?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
you get better bass extension with floor standers but at the lower end of the market you would get a better sound for the money from the f1s on good stands than a pair of £150 floorstanders in my opinion.

bit of a genralisation i know

A

Anonymous

thanks for the quick reply. i cant believe these days how so many people seem satisfied with listening to music on poor speakers (such as pc speakers). as I've been stuck with a pc for a while i bought the best ones i could see, creative T20 which are ok but quite small. I once listened to some of my music on a friends jambo floorstanders and was amazed at the sound... it seemed so much more spaced out and had a lot more mid-range if that makes sense.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
stands £49.00

http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/index.php?product_id=1437394&option=Prod_detail&image_id=552609

speakers £72.33
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tannoy-F1-Custom-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000W4RHPA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230851447&sr=8-2

A

Anonymous

ta for the links, good prices! now one more question if you dont mind.. how important are stands? do they make the sound much better than say having the speakers on a desk or shelf?

A

Anonymous

A good stand (in my opinion) is very important. It will anchor the sound; improve base, speed and most other aspects of the speakers. Simply put it will let the speakers be their best.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Bookshelf speakers sound horrible on a bookshelf, which is why I prefer to call them standmounters. I agree with matengawhat that you'll be better off going for standmounters rather than floorstanders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts