Bookshelf Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
For various reasons it's time to replace my 10 year old Castle Harlech floorstanders, which I've really enjoyed but have finally had their day. I run a Marantz KI Signature CD into a Audiolab 8000S, both about 10 years old too. There's also a PS3, i-Pod and Virgin V+ box plugged in, but nowhere near as important to me as the CD player.

I'm looking for a small(-ish) speaker to suit my new room, about 3.5mx3.5m, and have come up with a short-list of Dali Lektor 2, B&W 685 and EB Acoustics EB1. A bit of a price gap, but want something that will suit my system and music, mainly guitar (from Santana to Motorhead) but with some electronic and classical thrown in too.

Any advice or experience from people would be welcome.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Try the Dali Lektor 2. Amazing value for money. They sound open, detailed and very musical. IMO they are so much better than the B&W 685 but that's just my opinion.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I would second the AVI neutrons, I have a similar listening taste to you and my room is about the same dimentions. I have not put anything in my CD player that I have been dissapointed with, they seem to be able to handle any music you throw at it. They have a great clean and detailed sound.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I'll add the AVIs to the list, but am leaning towards the Dalis. Due to circumstances beyond my control my set-up is going to be less than perfect. From what I can gather the Dalis will handle that better and they're the cheapest. Then I can put the difference into future upgrades when circumstances change.

I appreciate the advice though, it's been years since I was in the market and I'm way out of touch.

A

Anonymous

I'd go with the Dali's there great. As long as your not looking for huge amounts of bass, you'll love them.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Chris, I have a very similar setup to yours and am going through a similar experience. I recently moved my hi-fi into the living room, having given up on using another as my main listening room. The TDL floorstanders aren't taking too well to the new location (too much boomy bass). Therefore I am faced with a move to some decent stand mounts (fortunately I still possess my trusty Atacama SE 24 stands).

I have dropped an email to EB Acoustics enquiring about the EB1's preferred location and also to see if they have any comments on suitability of their speakers for my amp and cd-player - I await results. At the same time, I have been recommended to look at / listen to the Spendor S3e speakers (discounted to £600+P&P at Sevenoaks, Brighton). I intend to chat to a member of staff about them. I wasn't intending to go quite so high financially, but they could be an absolute bargain. Coincidentally, I'm down in Brighton this weekend, but can't see me wangling a demo or carting them home to the Midlands on the train! A certain young lady might have something to say!
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

The results are in and I bought the Dali Lektor 2s. They're fantastic, despite the compromised set up. They lack bass compared to the old floorstanders, but their soundstaging is better.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

A

Anonymous

Try ringing EB Acoustics, they're really helpful. Number is in the website.

Also, Spendors at that price are a really good buy. I'd avoid the budget end if you can, as they only mean an upgrade sooner rather than later.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
ESP2009:
Chris, I have a very similar setup to yours and am going through a similar experience.ÿ I recently moved my hi-fi into the living room, having given up on using another as my main listening room. The TDL floorstanders aren't taking too well to the new location (too much boomy bass). Therefore I am faced with a move to some decent stand mounts (fortunately I still possess my trusty Atacama SE 24 stands).

I have dropped an email to EB Acoustics enquiring about the EB1's preferred location and also to see if they have any comments on suitability of their speakers for my amp and cd-player - I await results.ÿ At the same time, I have been recommended to look at / listen to the Spendor S3e speakers (discounted to £600+P&P at Sevenoaks, Brighton).ÿ I intend to chat to a member of staff about them.ÿ I wasn't intending to go quite so high financially, but they could be an absolute bargain.ÿ Coincidentally, I'm down in Brighton this weekend, but can't see me wangling a demo or carting them home to the Midlands on the train!ÿ A certain young lady might have something to say!
emotion-6.gif

Don't forget you need to add the cost of decent stands to this.

My Dali Ikon 6 speakers were superb in a small room, no bass boom at all even though they were near walls. Have just put them up for sale as I've just spent a fortune on some new speakers.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts