Bookshelf speakers on desk

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just recently moved my speakers onto the desk, they sound dreadfull now, they sound even worse than they did on top of my wardrobe, Its a wooden desk, probably the most resonant material to put speakers on, the sound is realy boomy in the lower midrange anything with drums in sounds terrible, tom toms sound very boomy or anything of the same frequency, it makes me wince at times! I havet got room for stands either they are cambridge audio s30s which are rear ported I have blocked the ports with some foam. I just need some way of isolating them from the desk without them taking too much room up.

Thanks for any help!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO you'd be best to put them on some isolators.

Squash balls cut in half are a good resource; put the open parts of the squash ball face down on to the desk and then place the speakers on top.

Unfortunately there's not a lot esle you can do apart from wall mounting them really.

Are you sure there's absolutely NO room for stands even with moving stuff about? Shame really...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Pop down B&Q and get some small wall brackets/screws/rawlplugs etc and a couple of small shelves. (Deep enough to allow a few inches 'breathing room' for the rear ports.)

Site them so the tweeters are at ear level and the speakers are angled in towards you a bit.

They are bound to sound better than on your desk or on wardrobes and you don't have the option of stands.

For shelves you could buy a couple of small granite/marble pot-stands* from your local hypermarket and blu-tac them to the supporting brackets.

*Or two granite floor tiles - or whatever is nearest in size to the footprint of the speaker plus a bit at the back for ports and cables.

A

Anonymous

Hi Chebby,

Is it just me or wouldn't the small Apollo stands take up exctly the same amount of space on the desk as the speakers would.

emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
brittondave:Hi Chebby,

Is it just me or wouldn't the small Apollo stands take up exctly the same amount of space on the desk as the speakers would.
emotion-1.gif

Which is why I am suggesting wall mounting. (More desk and floor space)

A

Anonymous

ok fair enough I was just trying to get the best out of his speakers for him. and I guess your way would do a very good job.!

D

A

Anonymous

Great suggestions so far, heres the situation which makes this difficult:-

002.jpg

A

Anonymous

unleash_me:Oh boy! There is a product for every need.

wow cool but what are they made out of at that cost......................Titanium

D

A

Anonymous

May be 10" risers with granite tops cut to fit on the tops of the risers .......then isolated with blue tack.

D

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
JG333:

002.jpg

Well why can't you move the desk to the right and use stands?

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:JG333:

002.jpg

Well why can't you move the desk to the right and use stands?

It may look like I could but... The desk looks smaller in the picture than it realy is and there is a door to the right of the desk, I have tried moving the desk but I find that the desk is very close to the door when its open and the door hits into the end of the bed at 90degrees so id have to squeeze past the desk and the bed, it seems more logical to put them on the desk.

I see your point, im not trying to waste peoples time lol

A

Anonymous

From what little I know about these things, the problem is reflections. Putting small speakers on a desk will cause the sound waves to bounce off the surface and make a mess of the sound.

So stone slabs won't make things better; neither will sticking the speaker to the desk.

Stands might help -- but still the back-firing bass ports will be a problem if the speakers aren't moved away from the wall.

A

Anonymous

Hi JG333,

I had a similar issue to yourself. After trawling the internet I came across Auralex Mopads. They are designed for studio monitors in control/mixing rooms but can also be used for hifi speakers. I am really happy with how well these work, and highly recommend them. They have tightened up the bass and general sound loads clearer now there not resonating through the cabinet they have to stand. They are available from a number of Studio equipment suppliers for around £30.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

The Auralex Mopads look like the winner so far, Thanks for all the suggestions!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts