Bookshelf Speaker advice

Flatsound

Jul 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys,

I’m currently using with my Rega apollo and NaiT 5i with a pair of Monitor Audio B2. I feel that system sound, deserve better speakers. I'd like to upgrade my speakers for something better. I'm planning to spend about £350 to by a better speakers, it must be monitors because my room is small.

Where I live, I don't have a lot of hifi shops, The only monitor speakers, that I can Have a demo are Monitor Audio RS1, Epos M5, Usher S-520 and Dynaudio Audience 42.

Yesterday I heard the Monitor Audio RS1 with Denon eletronics and I really enjoyed the sound, it sounded very engaging and rhythmic, of course it wasn't with my eletronics and I don't know if those speakers blend well with my sound system.

I like to hear music when in a very rhythmic and engaging way and because of that I 'd like to have your opinion in this matter. By the way I'd like to avoid monitors that sound dry in the midlle band or harsh in the treble.

Thanks for your help

Flatsound

John Duncan

If you can stretch to 400, I'd say the AVI Neutron Vs. Gorgeous. If not, I'd lean towards the Usher if you can find it, but - though I'm not especially keen on MA generally - all the others are very capable.

A

Anonymous

I have heard all of those running off the 5i except the Usher and the AVI. They are all a big step up from the BR2 obviously, I would simply, as you say demo all that you can and take it from there.

If the 5i is delivering the engagement and rhythm you desire, but would like to take a bit of the edge off it the Usher orÿDynaudio sound ideal, however if you like the sound of the RS1's it throws it up in the air a bit.

Have you thought about the B&W 685's? Bit of an obvious choice at the moment but I used to run them off my 5i for a while and they're a great team. Anyway try as many as you can and take it from there.

A

Anonymous

Rhythmic = Epos M5.

I owned the Audience A42 and hated them. First of all, you need hundreds of Watts and current to drive Dynaudios; otherwise they sound really boring. And they have no timing.

A

Anonymous

Tannoyite:
First of all, you need hundreds of Watts and current to drive Dynaudios; otherwise they sound really boring. And they have no timing.ÿ

Ridiculous. Audience 42?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Tannoyite:
First of all, you need hundreds of Watts and current to drive Dynaudios; otherwise they sound really boring. And they have no timing.

Ridiculous. Audience 42?

Well, the A42, being small, doesn't really need tons of watts to work. However, as all Dynaudios, they benefit from more watts and a lot of current (they are very insensitive and the impedance drops below 4 ohms).

As for the sound, for me it's completely inarticulate. Microdynamic articulation is not well portrayed. Actually all the nuances in pitch, rhythm and dynamics are lost. Of course I'm talking here about classical music. If you want them for rock, they sure can kick and sound huge considering their actual size. But coherent and articulate as a good British speaker they are not (I'm not British, BTW
emotion-5.gif
). They are just designed to play very loud without compression (and actually, if you listen to them at low volume, they sound boring; they are only happy when playing really loud), and give an enormous amount of bass for such a tiny enclosure, and a huge soundstage.

But they don't make music. At least not classical music.

IMHO, of course.

A

Anonymous

Fair enough but lets not throw them out of the window on your adherence to classical music.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Fair enough but lets not throw them out of the window on your adherence to classical music.

You're right. Actually, they are excellent speakers. But I hate them, I can't help it! But you're right, I should be more objective.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan: No no no. That's what makes this place so interesting.

Of course, if we hadn't had said that the OP would be none the wiser about how poorly the A42's obviously deal with classical music...

Flatsound

Jul 22, 2007
Visit site
Thank you all, for your opinions.

Octopo, yes I'd like to take the edge a bit from my sound but also i'm looking for speakers that sound, engaging, articulated, dynamic, rhythmic and not dry in the midle band. In your opinion, do you think the Usher 520 can give me this?

Regards

Flatsound

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Tannoyite:I should be more objective.

No no no. That's what makes this place so interesting.

You're right, I should be more subjective !
emotion-2.gif

Flatsound

Jul 22, 2007
Visit site
Well, chaps my search finish, finally i found The speaker that I wanted. I tried several speakers and what I chose was a pair of Monitor Audio RS5, they sound fantasic. They have a sweet treble, image well, sound melodic, rhythmic and articulated. I'm more than pleased

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts