Bookshelf Speaker Advice/Comparison

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm quite new to this. I'm looking to get a pair of bookshelf speakers for up to £200ish. I've whittled it down to the following options

ELAC Debut B5.2
Dali Spektor 2
Wharfedale Diamond 220

A little context of what i'm looking for

Music - my taste is quite mixed, i'll be looking to play everything from, jazz, house/funk, heavy rock, quite demanding electronic music (Aphex Twin/Jungle) to lighter, more soundscape stuff.

Room - The speakers will be set up in a 4m x 3.8m room. They will be sat on a book shelf (about a foot and a half deep). I might buy stands in the future but don't plan to at this moment in time.

Speaker sound - I think i'd like something verging on a 'warm' sound, I don't want anything too clean.

Some of my thoughts -

Can anyone give a comparison on how these speakers sound differ against each other?

I've read that the Wharfedale's have a very warm sound, can user confirm this?

I'm looking to spend about £200/300 on an amp, will an amp at that price range be sufficient to get good quality from all of these speakers?

Do any of these perform great at low volumes? Will be playing fairly loud but also live in a flat.

Sorry for so many questions, i've read a whole heap of articles online but still can't decide. Any advise would be hugely appreciated!

Thank you!!

daytona600

£200 speakers & £500 on amps have you considered £500+ active monitors excellent on EDM & Rock
£700 will get you a superb set of small monitors & add a Dac/pre as a source for under £1000 for a compact quality system

Reactions: Al ears

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

Really appreciate your reply. Sorry if i was unclear, I was looking at spending a max £200-£300 on an amp, so my max combine budget for amp and speakers is £500.

I don't think many small speakers play well at low volume and certainly not in the position you intend to use them in.
If on a shelf like that they would be better if they are front ported so that kind of rules out the Dalis which, I feel are more home cinema speakers.
The only real way for you to decide if a speaker has a warm sound is to audition them yourself as everyone has a different idea, and ears.
The Whafedale and Elac both have the same efficiency so nothing really between them their and both have great reviews. I have only heard the Elac and thought it excellent but cannot comment on the 220's.

rainsoothe

Hi. The 220 are a bit lacking in the bass department, the 225 might be closer to what you're looking for - although they are not necessarily warm, they're pretty neutral, but smooth and well balanced. They are also very unfussy about positioning, so for using on a shelf they might be your best bet. The Elacs will be more revealing and punchy, and the Spektor are also great, but have a rear firing port. Any of these should sound great with the likes of Cambridge Audio CXA35, Marantz PM6006 (or 6005) or Nad or whatever.

If you place them on a shelf, put at least some blu-tack shaped into small balls underneath (cheapest tweak), or Vibrapods or (preferably but expensive) ISOacoustics L8R stands (there's several sizes/models for both Vibrapods and ISOacoustics, so check which one would suit the speakers you end up getting).

Biggest advice, though, is to audition if you can - preferably in your own room.

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thank you very much for your reply. I was concerned that the rear port might be a problem, thanks for confirming. Great to hear the ELAC's are promising.

I am trying to arrange going to Richer Sounds to test some of these models but it's quite difficult with the current pandemic.

Thanks again!

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi. The 220 are a bit lacking in the bass department, the 225 might be closer to what you're looking for - although they are not necessarily warm, they're pretty neutral, but smooth and well balanced. They are also very unfussy about positioning, so for using on a shelf they might be your best bet. The Elacs will be more revealing and punchy, and the Spektor are also great, but have a rear firing port. Any of these should sound great with the likes of Cambridge Audio CXA35, Marantz PM6006 (or 6005) or Nad or whatever.

If you place them on a shelf, put at least some blu-tack shaped into small balls underneath (cheapest tweak), or Vibrapods or (preferably but expensive) ISOacoustics L8R stands (there's several sizes/models for both Vibrapods and ISOacoustics, so check which one would suit the speakers you end up getting).

Biggest advice, though, is to audition if you can - preferably in your own room.

Great info here, thanks so much! Good to know about the 220 maybe not having the strongest bass output, I did see one review that said they didn't feel it would lend itself well to rock or heavy electronic music.

I kind of like the fact you say the ELAC's will be more punchy, I think I do want something with that character. You say the Spektor's are great, could I ask sonically in what respect? Also compared to the ELAC/225?

I know my best option is to try and listen to all these in person. I am trying to get to a Richer Sounds this week, just proving a little hard as many are closed due to Covid.

I will certainly be looking at the blu-tac/Vibrapod solution to reduce vibrations! And had been looking at those amps you suggested.

Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated!

D

Deleted member 188516

£200 speakers & £500 on amps have you considered £500+ active monitors excellent on EDM & Rock
£700 will get you a superb set of small monitors & add a Dac/pre as a source for under £1000 for a compact quality system

+1

scene

I fear I might be sounding like a stuck record *sigh* but I would consider the Q3020i or Q3030i speakers for sub-£200 speakers to put on a bookshelf. I've got Q3020i, on Billy bookshelves [40cm deep ones], surrounded by stuff and they sound fantastic with my A85. Punch above their cost, for sure. Bass is OK (and for use in my Office, perfect) - the Q3030i give more bass. I originally looked at the list you had and went with the Q Acoustics ones. For reference, my room is 3m x 4.1m (approx) and my music tastes are quite mixed - with a lot of Rock, Blues, and Classical. I would describe the sound as warm and very engaging. I think in my room, because of all the hard surfaces, and glass doors on cupboards too much bass would boom a bit...

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I fear I might be sounding like a stuck record *sigh* but I would consider the Q3020i or Q3030i speakers for sub-£200 speakers to put on a bookshelf. I've got Q3020i, on Billy bookshelves [40cm deep ones], surrounded by stuff and they sound fantastic with my A85. Punch above their cost, for sure. Bass is OK (and for use in my Office, perfect) - the Q3030i give more bass. I originally looked at the list you had and went with the Q Acoustics ones. For reference, my room is 3m x 4.1m (approx) and my music tastes are quite mixed - with a lot of Rock, Blues, and Classical. I would describe the sound as warm and very engaging. I think in my room, because of all the hard surfaces, and glass doors on cupboards too much bass would boom a bit...
Hey thanks so much for this info. I had considered the Q3020's but had read the were't too strong for very rhythm heavy music, which I might be a problem with my music taste.

I'm totally onboard with the warm, engaging sound. If the 3030i's give more bass i think i will certainly reconsider. If they have them available to listen to at Richer Sounds I'll definitely be giving them a try.

Many thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts