Bonus time what to upgrade next

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
It is coming up to bonus time and this is my hifi money every year I will have 2.5k what should I do next to make my system better any suggestions welcome. I am thinking either m2 power amp or turntable or cd player (but I am very happy with my dac so don't know if it will be a big improvement). What is the next weak link in my system.

Help please?

Lee

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
You seem to have a pretty well balanced system and no real area you're looking to improve, personally I'd spend the money on a holiday instead!

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I tried the power amp with the m2 and couldn't justify the cost, there is no real improvement in sound quality but it did drive the speakers better but that was CM 9's which are much larger than your PM1's but worth a listen.

My advice would be a large crate of booze and some quality vinyl, sorry not much help :cheers:

SteveR750

Shanka said:
Hi, I tried the power amp with the m2 and couldn't justify the cost, there is no real improvement in sound quality but it did drive the speakers better but that was CM 9's which are much larger than your PM1's but worth a listen. My advice would be a large crate of booze and some quality vinyl, sorry not much help :cheers:

+1 :)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Either tt or speakers or both. £2.5k is enough to give you plenty of options and to get you something approaching a world class system.

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Been to my dealer this morning to have a play with the Caspian power amp. To be honest I could not tell a big differance not £1600 anyway. So it looks like a turntable and phono stage upgrade. What is the best phono stage & turntable pairing I could get for £2.5k plus the second hand value of my RP3 with the tt psu and rega phono stage so probably £3k ish

Lee

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I know you said you are happy with the rega dac, but if I had your system I would be trying to find an ex demo chord qbd76 dac. Not sure if you will get one within your budget, but it's the one piece of Hifi that I haven't heard anything negative about. My limited contact with it has always blown me away.

Just my two cents

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Glad I'm not the only one not thrilled by the M2 power amp which is a shame, I was hoping for a far bigger step up in performance for that price, I would still struggle to justify at half the price.

Have fun in your search.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
There are lots and lots of candidates for the best tt / arm / cartridge / phono amp combination for £2.5k. Difficult to say what is the best as there are so many possible combinations. I use an EMT 950 that I bought for £2250.

Interesting to read your thoughts on comparing your Caspian to a more expensive amp. The Caspian's a good amp. As you say, not much value in changing it. You might find it interesting to try some different speakers, using a different design philosophhy to your existing speakers: electrostatics, sealed box or horns.

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
How are the PM1s? I'm auditioning a pair this week and if all goes well will upgrade to them (currently on CM5s - which I really like, so the PM1s need to be good).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts