Boards Of Canada Appreciation Day

After a discussion on the Boards Of Canada Facebook page this evening, I'm gaging numbers for a possible get together (maybe to become a regular thing) in Birmingham. This would entail a listening session - as in the "Classic Album Sundays" format - for all four BoC albums, on a very nice audio system, of course :)

I've set up an Eventbrite page purely to find out interested numbers - NOTHING is definite as of yet. The amount of people interested would impact the venue it would be held at. So at this stage, purely exploratory. Eventbrite is the only way I can reasonably judge interested numbers (other than emailing me directly).

I've wanted to host something like his for quite some time, and now I'm running my own business, I can do whatever the hell I like :)

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/boards-of-canada-appreciation-day-tickets-38165079781

My initial venue (within the building I work) is a no go this time round, and unfortunately, trying to book a venue at this time of year is a little tricky. I tried a couple of others, but it's a busy time of year, what with office parties and stuff starting to happen, so larger venues tend to be already booked.

I've cancelled the page and orders on the Eventbrite page (don't want people turning up out of the blue!). Altogether, there were 27 tickets ordered, which I don't think is bad for a short notice, niche event like this. Anyone who signed up for the event, I've retained email addresses to let them know of any future event I'm able to put on.

If I can't get anything sorted for February or March, I'll definitely set something up for next November.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Great group. Love music has a right to children album.

You should get lots of electronic musical enthusiasts to your shop David, and have a playlist of good less usual electronic stuff. The type of people who go on meet up and go to live electronic stuff. Not just one group.

Im sure that would drive business for people not normally into hi Fi. It always surprises me that the musicos are more often than not, not audiophiles or hi Fi ists.

This was never something I wanted to do as a business concern - this would cost me money to host. This is purely my own interest in Boards Of Canada, and to celebrate the unique sound and music they produce. This isn’t something I’d do on a personal level for any run of the mill artist. BoC aren’t a fame seeking artist, they rarely, if ever, give interviews, or even do live shows - they’re off the map. They’re not doing it for fame and fortune. This is one aspect that many fans of BoC appreciate, certainly myself. Their music creates a lot of speculation and conversation (which can be found online), and is something worth gathering a group of fans for. None of those who would attend something like this would necessarily be interested in hi-fi, but that’s not the point - it’s about the music.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

They are doing it for fame and fortune Following early success, and are in it for the money like most commercial music acts. One of the brothers is reputed to be worth $30million.

QuestForThe13thNote said:
They are doing it for fame and fortune Following early success, and are in it for the money like most commercial music acts. One of the brothers is reputed to be worth $30million.
I’d hardly call them “commercial”. U2, there’s commercial. Early success? Their first activity was mid 80s, and yet they didn’t even produce an album until 1998.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Yes agree not commercial in a music sense and well known like u2 but commercial in a business sense.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

As I was alluding to (and suggesting) if you got a independent music shop to visit with some selections of electronic stuff, you could get hi Fi people in, wouldn’t cost you anything. They sell their CDs and promote their shop, you sell hi Fi, and you could invite people to bring own drinks. I’m really surprised not many hi Fi dealers do that. Perfect synergy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts