Bluray player for Panasonic TH-42PX80B

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
How much are you looking to spend? Could you give us an idea of what you are looking for in a bluray player? Also details of setup please, is this going through an AV receiver?

A

Anonymous

duaplex said:
How much are you looking to spend? Could you give us an idea of what you are looking for in a bluray player? Also details of setup please, is this going through an AV receiver?

No AV receiver, I will use scart cable to connect to TV.

About £150. Looking for something that is good at upgrading dvds as I have a load of rock group concerts that I look at.

All my text in the original post is missing?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gezpen said:
I will use scart cable to connect to TV.

No you won't. Most Blu-Ray players don't have Scart outputs. If your television has an HDMI input, and I think it has but I'm not sure, then you need an HDMI cable from the Blu-Ray player to the TV, the HDMI cable will carry sound and picture.

Son_of_SJ said:
gezpen said:
I will use scart cable to connect to TV.

No you won't. Most Blu-Ray players don't have Scart outputs. If your television has an HDMI input, and I think it has but I'm not sure, then you need an HDMI cable from the Blu-Ray player to the TV, the HDMI cable will carry sound and picture.

Exactly. None of the blu ray players today have SCART. In any case, SCART is incapable of passing HD video.

Use your TV's HDMI connection.

Look at Sony S390 / Panasonic BDT120 / Panasonic BDT220.

greycounciller

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using the Pioneer BDP 450 with this TV and on the whole it works very well.

The player only has HDMI outputs, but since I don't use it for 3D, it won't be an issue.

Picture quality is good and sound thru AV amp is very good.

There are many cheaper alternatives available and I'm sure many will fit the bill.

What HiFi has many good reviews you can use add a guide.

A

Anonymous

greycounciller said:
I'm currently using the Pioneer BDP 450 with this TV and on the whole it works very well.

The player only has HDMI outputs, but since I don't use it for 3D, it won't be an issue.

Picture quality is good and sound thru AV amp is very good.

There are many cheaper alternatives available and I'm sure many will fit the bill.

What HiFi has many good reviews you can use add a guide.

Yes, my Tv has HDMI inputs, thanks for all the responses. I am obviously new to Bluray and still doing my homework.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
No apology needed Gezpen we all start somewhere :)

If you could stretch to £200, the best player pound for pound is the Sony S790, it will upscale your DVD's nicely and give you the quality in bluray playback you desire.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/sony/bdps790/sony-bdps790

alternatively if you cannot stretch I recommend the Panasonic BDT220, which fits into your price range. Either way you will be happy.

A

Anonymous

Not for a while. I did consider this and my conclusion is to get a cheaper bluray now that fits my requirements and when I upgrade my tv in a few years time, I will also get a new bluray . That will give me time to build up my bluray collection and then take advantage of new technology in say 3 - 5 years time.

Any recommendations for blurays in the £99 area that will do good upgrading of my dvds? Audio is important as they are all concert footage dvds.

Thanks to all for the replies, it has been very useful.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
Make sure you demo the players you shortlist. As your TV is HD ready only (720p & not 1080p), you may find that cheaper players will upscale just as good.

My dvd actually upscales (Panasonic S54). Upon closer inspection, I now discover that I am using HDMI lead on this dvd player and not Scart as I previously thought.

Will I notice an improvement to my dvds when played through an upscaling bluray player as compared to my current setup? I sit around 10 feet away from the tv.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ultimately yes, the new technology does a better job upscaling than old. Have a look at the Sony S480 and another of my favourites the Panasonic BDT110.

Both under £100 or there abouts. These will do a good job upscaling for you and playing your films. Of course a better TV later on that displays 1080p will seems like a massive boost all over again using one of the players.

For the record the Sony probably pips the panasonic on upscaling

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Having the same tv, I thought I'd add my little bit.

The Sony 390 would be a fine choice. A panasonic player would mean you would only need to use one remote to use both machines, if thats of importance to you.

Yes the tv is only 720p, but it does accept 1080p 24p movies from a blu ray player.

Yes it will not have as much detail as a full 1080p screen, but if you sit far enough away the differences are nothing to worry about (IMO). If you sit too close to the screen then, the 1080p screen will show more detail.

A

Anonymous

Looking on Amazon and they have a Sony 490 at £99. It claims to have very good upscaling performance. Is the 490 better than the 390?

A

Anonymous

This bit caught my eye when I read the description of the 390:

Should you want to improve the sound of DVDs and CDs still further, there is also a digital output to which you can attach a higher quality DAC (Digital to Analogue Convertor).

Can anyone suggest which model of a DAC I should buy. Is it worth the £40 or so that I have seen advertised.

A

Anonymous

Ordered a s390 MR, £99 with 5 year warranty.

Does DAC only improve the audio?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts