Bluray into DAC as good as dedicated CD player

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I am considering purchasing a DAC but before I sell my lovely Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD I wonder if anybody knows if:

A CD played via my Sony BDP 360 Bluray into the Audiolab MDAC will sound as good as my current CD player? i.e. I am just using the Bluray player as a digital transport.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
What's the purpose of buying the DAC? Are you trying to improve what you have now or do you have other devices you wish to send through the DAC? My suggestion would be to get the DAC on loan and try it with the CD player, compare the DAC through the CD player with the CD player by itself, if the DAC makes no improvement with your existing CD player (or even makes it worse) it won't be any better with the BDP.

A

Anonymous

Im currently using exact same BD player as a transport (into a Bel Canto DAC2.5). It works fine, I cant notice any real difference between that and lossless from iMac into USB connection. Only thing that I find a drawback is the annoying remote control interface as I cant seem to access tracks directly by the number key, also seems to be a bit of a delay in skipping tracks etc

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
What's the purpose of buying the DAC? Are you trying to improve what you have now or do you have other devices you wish to send through the DAC? My suggestion would be to get the DAC on loan and try it with the CD player, compare the DAC through the CD player with the CD player by itself, if the DAC makes no improvement with your existing CD player (or even makes it worse) it won't be any better with the BDP.

The DAC is mainly for playing from my Airport Express but I am hoping it will also match or exceed the sound from my CD player if I use the Bluray as a 'disc spinner'. I also plan to play radio via Sky HD into the DAC.

I can't really afford the MDAC so was planning on selling my CD player to finance it (although it will break my heart as the MF CD and Amp were my first 'proper' hifi purchases. :cry:

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
The DAC is mainly for playing from my Airport Express but I am hoping it will also match or exceed the sound from my CD player

I started streaming my ripped audio via iTunes airport express and apple TV a year ago I have not played a CD since, I do not think you will be dissapointed with the SQ.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts