Blu tack under speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
My floorstanders are sat on wood plinths on top of slabs of concrete. The speakers are 'spiked' into the wood which in turn is blu tacked to the concrete. The result is 'rock' solid speakers

A

Anonymous

Im a bit worried now. Can only get yellow here in France - will it detract from sound quality? I can buy the blue when I'm in the UK next week if necessary.

SteveR750

aliEnRIK:My floorstanders are sat on wood plinths on top of slabs of concrete. The speakers are 'spiked' into the wood which in turn is blu tacked to the concrete. The result is 'rock' solid speakers

I find that only playing rock music too brings about a improvement.

A

Anonymous

I used 4 strips for each stand, one across each length of the square top. I found this to be very effective in holding the speakers in place. It certainly worked very well for my B&W 685 and MA GS10 previously.

idc

Joel, Bjorkii and Tarquinh, someone is going to dip into this forum, read your comments and think, you are nutters. You are giving the forum a bad name, which is wrong because we are all not nutters, wibble.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What are the alternatives?

Spikes? Okay if you live on your own and without pets.

Rubber feet? Bouncy and speakers can still be toppled off stands.

Small spikes + mastic gasket? Goodness only knows. Only seen it on Naim SBLs for entirely different reasons.

Screw speakers onto stands? Probably best but holes affects resale value of speakers.

Araldite? Okay if you plan to use same speakers + stands for next 20 years.

A

Anonymous

There is another way,

B&W CM1s come with 4 built in M6 alumininum threaded boses set into the base, so all you do is screw the speakers to the stand.

An absolutely brilliant idea, can't see why other manufacterers don't adopt the method...........

SteveR750

chebby:
What are the alternatives?

Spikes? Okay if you live on your own and without pets.

Rubber feet? Bouncy and speakers can still be toppled off stands.

Small spikes + mastic gasket? Goodness only knows. Only seen it on Naim SBLs for entirely different reasons.

Screw speakers onto stands? Probably best but holes affects resale value of speakers.

Araldite? Okay if you plan to use same speakers + stands for next 20 years.

<much wringing of hands and worried looks> It's almost too much to contemplate!

I know, get some floor stranders, then the "problem" goes away... I tried both blu tak, then the foam pads that came with my stands, then nothing at all, and guess what: I couldnt hear a damn diference. What did have a big effect tho was whether I had got the floor spikes properly level so there was no rocking at all, and then stamped on them to jam them into the cement slightly.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
JoelSim:
I find that if you split a blob into 3 and plait it, it also serves to reduce the RFI effects present in all closed circuits as well as affixing the speaker to the stand membrane upper.

ÿ

ROFL!!!

All this talk of vibrations and negative effects is pushing my open baffle plan along nicely tho.

SteveR750

I'm sure that someone somewhere has in an attempt to get closer to an infinite baffle has built drivers into their external walls, with the rear of the drivers simply radiating into the garden. This of course means that you could not listen with the windows or doors open....

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750:I'm sure that someone somewhere has in an attempt to get closer to an infinite baffle has built drivers into their external walls, with the rear of the drivers simply radiating into the garden. This of course means that you could not listen with the windows or doors open....

Sticking a couple of speakers in the walls is far to easy, what you want to do is this - http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

Build the whole under-floor of the house in to a Horn sub-woofer, no blue tack required.

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I wish I had known about the wonders of blu-tac when I had first bought my speakers and stands. The dealer recommended top plate spikes and now the base of the speakers are in a right state and one was knocked off by a drunken "friend". The resale value isn't going to be high!

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I have a speaker next to a window, my cat & a neighbours cat have knocked the speaker off it's stand twice, once each, two little marks on the speaker hardly noticeable so i got some blu-tak today & secured it down with that, i just hope that cures the problem.

A

Anonymous

Thank you pwiles1968 for the best laugh all day. Brilliant. These people obviously have a bit of spare time and money. Don't miss his link folks and understand the dedication some people have for serious bassss...

SteveR750

slewis:I have a speaker next to a window, my cat & a neighbours cat have knocked the speaker off it's stand twice, once each, two little marks on the speaker hardly noticeable so i got some blu-tak today & secured it down with that, i just hope that cures the problem.

The cat??

A

Anonymous

igglebert:SteveR750:(other than to assist in levelling)
...and not knocking them off. I'm not sure about the physics as I've heard a few different takes on it. The knocking off thing has saved them twice now; bloody careless house viewers...

yes, i thought the g/f was always bumping into them and half knocking them off.... turns out it was the sub next to one of the speakers and bluetak cured the problem (and argument!)
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Note of caution to blu tack users & owners of vinyl clad speakers (none of you i'm sure...). Blu Tack is SO good that if you want to move the speakers & don't do it carefully, the vinyl tends to want to stay with the blu tack rather than with the speaker!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts