blu ray wifi

mjs

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
My internet connection is upstairs,so hard wiring my Blu ray is not an option.My PS3 is wifi,why not Blu Ray players.Does anybody sell a USB Wi-fi receiver I can plug in? If not why not!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
In theory, there's no reason why you can't just plug in a Wi-Fi bridge into a player with an ethernet connection to make it wireless (like this one. NB - this is not a recommendation, just an example!). Just make sure it's compatible with your wireless network e.g. ensure it's 802.11b/g/n compatible same as your wireless router and is capable of supporting the same encryption standards your network uses e.g. WEP, WPA or WPA2.

mjs

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
John
Trying to access internet(BD live,firmware updates etc) without having to install 20m of cat 5 through the ceiling.

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

I had the same situation with my PS3, as i had problems with speed over wireless.

As the BD palyer and PS3 are next to each other - i have bought some powerline homeplugs that work really good! I plugged one near my modem, hardwired it and the other plug been plugged near my equipment and i can now hard wire my BD player when needed or PS3 when needed and i get full speed.

Hope this helps.

Ben.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hmm, I'm not so sure. I think it can either create a new wireless network or extend an existing wireless network which allows a wireless client to access this network (like the PS3 or a wireless enabled laptop), but I don't think it can act as a wireless adaptor for a device. That's how I read it anyway...
EDIT - Actually I take it back - think you might be right. I've never tried it though!

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
AirPort express Looks like option 2 in the FAQ's would do it ?

If it is set up as a WDS remote or relay station, it can bridge the wireless network to wired clients.

mjs

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Having read a little I think I can attach a spare wireless router,hard wired to the BD 35,and use this as `bridge` to my existing wifi router-both of which happen to be netgear so that may help with the settings?

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I think using the power line is the best bet and probably the cheapest. Seen them used with the BT Vision box and if you can download TV using one it must be fine for internet for a blu ray player (I hope!).

A

Anonymous

professorhat:In theory, there's no reason why you can't just plug in a Wi-Fi bridge into a player with an ethernet connection to make it wireless (like this one. NB - this is not a recommendation, just an example!). Just make sure it's compatible with your wireless network e.g. ensure it's 802.11b/g/n compatible same as your wireless router and is capable of supporting the same encryption standards your network uses e.g. WEP, WPA or WPA2.

proffessorhat, could I use a simular thing for streaming music from my upstairs PC to an ethernet DLNA certified AV receiver?
My other question is would the bridge need to be set up first from the PC upstairs then plugged in the the receiver afterwards or can WEP settings on the bridge be done wirelessly?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Good question, I don't see why not but I can't guarantee it I'm afraid as never tried it. The theory is the same though. I've only ever set up a wireless bridge once and, as I remember, you plug it into the PC using an ethernet cable then run through the setup and then after it's all configured, you can attach it straight to the device.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Good question, I don't see why not but I can't guarantee it I'm afraid as never tried it. The theory is the same though. I've only ever set up a wireless bridge once and, as I remember, you plug it into the PC using an ethernet cable then run through the setup and then after it's all configured, you can attach it straight to the device.

Many thanks, another way I was thinking of doing it was have a NAS downstairs plugged directly into the receiver and wirelessly stream the music to store on to the NAS,is this doable? Or perhaps just forget this and go for a Sqeeze box or Apple TV.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If you're using iTunes, then the Apple TV is probably going to be the simplest way (and the nicest front end). If it's just music in iTunes, an Airport Express could be used with an iPod Touch to remote control it (advantage of that is you have an excuse to get the Touch!). You can get wireless NAS devices, but you'd also need to ensure it was DLNA compliant for your amp to be able to read files from it - this could be tricky to find and probably the hardest to set up. If you're going that route, something like a Mini Mac is also an option. Not really too familiar with the Squeezebox so can't comment on that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts