Blu Ray Test?

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
I thought I read a while ago that you were conducting a back to back test of all the current Blu Ray Players including the Sony BDP 350 and this was to be in the October Issue. However, in your preview I don't see it.

Which issue was it supposed to be in?

Have I missed it?

When's the October issue in the shops?

Thanks,

Al.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AFAICR it's in the November issue, on sale in about ten days. The October issue has first tests of the Samsung BDP-1500 and Sony BDP-S350, both reviews also being available online here.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Slight confusion here with our issue dates, methinks.

October issue is currently in shops - that includes a head-to-head between the Sony BDP-S350 and the Samsung BDP-P1500, with reference to the Panasonic DMP-BD30.

The November issue (sorry about this, issue dates go bonkers around Awards time) is in shops next week (18th, or with subscribers sooner) has a full Group Test of budget Blu-ray players, including the Sony, Samsung, NEW Panasonic DMP-BD35 and the upgraded, 80GB Sony PlayStation 3.

It also has a first test of Denon's new Blu-ray transport.

A

Anonymous

I've been wondering for the last few years why you didn't use the Awards issue to balance the issue date/ issue err issue dates so that you could actually buy a months pub. in that actual month ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
a) Still never going to work with 13 issues a year

b) It's been a publishing convention for so long (that the date of mag on sale is a month ahead, eg October issue on sale Sept 1st) that we'd look out of date next to rival magazines. EVERY magazine would need to change.

c) It does start to make a little more sense after the Awards issue - eg December issue is still on sale into December, ditto January...

A

Anonymous

Why not 12 issues a year plus the Ultimate guides and a stand alone Awards mag ?

Incidentally, I know nuffin about publishing but having your mag date and actual date coinciding wouldn't seem out of date......just common sensical. I always check the next pub date in a mag before buying anyway.

A

Anonymous

Could someone please clarify......when I went into my local Sony Shop yesterday they advised that Sony wouldn't be bringing out another 500 player...so is the 550 on the cards or is it being dropped

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Alsone:
Ok thanks for that.

I'm going to hold off any purchase until after the test.

Does it include the Sony BDP 550?

Nope, because a) it's not out yet (due from mid-month) and we haven't seen a sample and b) because the test is very focused around the £200-£300 price point.

We'll be testing the next price-category up (£400-£600) - Panasonic DMP-BD55, Pioneer LX71 and hopefully the Sony BDP-550 - before deciding our Awards, and should be running online reviews as the tests are conducted.

As for Sony not releasing the BDP-S550 - well several retailers are taking pre-orders, and we haven't heard anything about it not being released, but after the AV receiver fiasco, who knows what Sony will do next?!

A

Anonymous

I look forward to reading the test reviews and the review on the Denon.

TRENDING THREADS