Blu ray player.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,i am getting a blu ray player,it will be my first,my only requirments are it must be multi region for my existing dvd collection and preferably in a silver or mostly silver finish.A lot of the ones ive seen have only been available in black.

Budget is £250 to £300.

Thanks.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Pauljrd6:

and preferably in a silver or mostly silver finish.

Budget is £250 to £300.

Thanks.

Sorry, not that many in silver. Not that i've seen anyway

Thanks, Rorschach.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just had a quick look, the only Blu-Ray players I can see which are rated well and come in silver are the various Denon offerings, none of which come close to your budget I'm afraid. Otherwise, there is the Onkyo DV-BD606 or the Samsung BDP-1400 from what I can see come in silver, but aren't particularly good.

If it were me, I'd go for the Sony BDP-S550 (slightly biased since I already have one), but it's a fantastic BD player, multiregion DVD player with fantastic upscaling and bang on the nose of your budget.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

I brought a Sony bdps550 from amazon (market place bargain) before Christmas.....cost me £175!!! It's an excellent little player, great picture and has on-board de-coding for the latest HD Audio with 7.1 outputs (so you can save money by keeping older AV amps and using the analogue inputs).

Thing is these ARE getting more expensive (imports must be going up due to the weakness of the pound) and now you'll be hard pressed to find one in stock for sub £250 (Amazon are listing it at £340 odd!!)

Shame really as I think this will really slow down the pace of Blu-ray take-up....along with the higher cost of the discs.

My advice to you...... forget it....stick with DVD's and save your money buying one of those new Toshiba up-scalers. Don't be mis-lead by all those people saying what an amazing difference it is.....in my experience (having now watched about twenty movies on Blu-ray) is.... with about 50% you'll be hard pressed to see the difference between Bluray and an up-scaled DVD, 30%....yes better than DVD and 20% wow.

You pays your money and takes your choice but unless you really are at the top-end with a massive screen I think it's all a bit of a nonsense.

Besides which, Don't we watch films for the actual STORY CONTENT and ACTING rather than booms bangs whirling noises and oh my god I can see the wrinkles on their faces...ha ha!

Hope that helps.

Garry

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
If you want the Sony BDP - S550 i'd get it from Richer Sounds, that's a real bargain for a top quality Dvd multi region Blu-Ray player. I'm getting one of those Toshiba Upscaling Dvd players which Kimbleman is on about, i've heard they're brilliant so i'll let you know how i get on. Good luck with your search.

Thanks, Rorschach.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I'd go for the pana bd35. cheaper and it also usscales nicely.maybe it's better to be future proof than buying a upscale dvd player only.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Kimbleman:
I brought a Sony bdps550 from amazon (market place bargain) before Christmas.....cost me £175!!! It's an excellent little player, great picture and has on-board de-coding for the latest HD Audio with 7.1 outputs (so you can save money by keeping older AV amps and using the analogue inputs).

Thing is these ARE getting more expensive (imports must be going up due to the weakness of the pound) and now you'll be hard pressed to find one in stock for sub £250 (Amazon are listing it at £340 odd!!)

Shame really as I think this will really slow down the pace of Blu-ray take-up....along with the higher cost of the discs.

My advice to you...... forget it....stick with DVD's and save your money buying one of those new Toshiba up-scalers. Don't be mis-lead by all those people saying what an amazing difference it is.....in my experience (having now watched about twenty movies on Blu-ray) is.... with about 50% you'll be hard pressed to see the difference between Bluray and an up-scaled DVD, 30%....yes better than DVD and 20% wow.

You pays your money and takes your choice but unless you really are at the top-end with a massive screen I think it's all a bit of a nonsense.

Besides which, Don't we watch films for the actual STORY CONTENT and ACTING rather than booms bangs whirling noises and oh my god I can see the wrinkles on their faces...ha ha!

Hope that helps.

Garry

Yes i agree upscaled dvd is good and i have found that a blueray movie with actors in them tend to have too much detail in them causing the actors face to appear ,well, 'grainy looking'. With animated blueray at 1080p (such as kung foo panda) then yes the blueray 1080p is great, i'm just not that impressed with peoples faces even on the latest batman movie that everyone seams to rave about.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Kimbleman:Don't be mis-lead by all those people saying what an amazing difference it is.....in my experience (having now watched about twenty movies on Blu-ray) is.... with about 50% you'll be hard pressed to see the difference between Bluray and an up-scaled DVD, 30%....yes better than DVD and 20% wow.

Well, probably no surprises here, but I disagree. I also have the Sony BDP-S550 and I now find it hard to actually watch a DVD. I've yet to see a Blu-Ray where I was hard pressed to see the difference. There are some very poor Blu-Ray discs out there and maybe if you were watching one of those older poorly produced discs and then watched a top notch DVD you could say this, but certainly not of the same film - there are absolutely no discs I'm aware of where the Blu-Ray does not noticeably improve over the DVD. Also, virtually all new Blu-Ray releases these days are very well done and the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is now as clear cut as between a 128 Kbps MP3 music file and the Lossless / CD master it was created from in my opinion.

Oh, and I haven't even started on the sound yet! But then if you don't have a proper HC setup, you may well not have experienced this. Let me tell you though... my goodness it's worth it!

EDIT - oh, and I've watched significantly more than 20 movies on Blu-Ray
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts