Blu-Ray performance disapointing on panasonic 37pv70

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all,

I have a 19 months old Panasonic Plasma 37PV70 which had great reviews at the time but was only HD Ready.

At the time I preferred it thanks to the 100hz technology and great blacks and colours especially with SD and DVD.

I have bought the sony s760 and although the colours are a bit more natural and crisper a realtime comparison with some movies which I own on DVD and blu-rays disapoints me. What I miss is the depth (more 3D effect) which some full hd's lcd and plasma's display.

Is this a size issue or a screen issue? I can only fit a 37 inch device in my closet so a size increase is not possible, so that would be cheap :).

PS all cables are van den hul so no freebies

Any thoughts welcome,

Bram

A

Anonymous

at 37inchs and 720p the tv can only do so much , you have a very good bluray player , upgrading your tv may be your best bet , the sony 37w5500 is £599 at sainsburys im sure ive recently read on here , at that size that would be as good as you could want ...

matthewpiano

People expect too much from Blu-Ray on relatively small screens. At 37" an upscaled DVD (done properly) can often look virtually as good as the Blu-Ray. I've got a HD Ready 32" with a BDP-S363 and, whilst I can see that Blu-Ray is superior to DVD, the difference isn't always massive. A good DVD upscaled on either the 'S363 or my RDR-HXD995 DVD recorder generally isn't far off.

The major benefits of Blu-Ray when used on TVs below 40" are the better sound quality (if using it through some kind of home cinema set-up), and all the interactivity the format offers over DVD. Once you get to 40", 46", 52" and above then the better picture quality really starts to shout out.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. I do agree with the point that we expect too much from blu ray on smaller screens. However, when i do a side by side comparison between my screen and a newer 37 inch full hd plasma I do notice especially a greater field of depth and detail at 24p/1080. The Oppo is great at upscaling but I think that an upgrade to the likes of sony's 37w500 could bring me some extra 3D effect.

A 40 inch and above is helas no option because I would have to rebuild a 100 year old closet and that is an option that would cause a small war at home :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts