blu ray or hidef dvd?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

ToSellBeNastier, Doesn't the pixellation issue relate to compression and decompression of the MPEG data. I find that the more pixels change from one frame to the next the worse the pixelation gets. Static image are very sharp. HD is much better than SD. I guess the electronics just cannot keep up with the decompression or there is a bottleneck somewher else, which means the data for the full frame cannot be processed in the given time.

But how would this relate to the display technology? LCD or Plasma?

Am just curious!

Gorge

A

Anonymous

ToSellBeNastier - I would love to see a flat panel screen which I would buy. I paid FAR too much about 5 years back now for a Grundig Lenaro 96cm CRT with integrated digital and I have seen a LOT of plasma and LCD screens in stores (granted perhaps not the best environment) and have yet to see one which equals (never mind betters) the picture quality (standard def also) I already have though as I said I'd be more than happy to see a really good one as at some point I'd Love to take the jump to HD.

[quote user="ToSellBeNastier"]
Thirdly, television itself is a problem as no one seems willing or able to transmit images in 1080p.

[/quote]

Agreed - perhaps standard def broadcast tv is perhaps not showing these screens' capabilities but the reality is that for a little while yet, this is the bulk of what we have to live with. The only screen I've seen which has impressed me was a Sony Bravia LCD which was nice but still, not perfect and although clearly you feel strongly about it, I think you'll find that CRT is still ahead in terms of PQ. Here's just one comparison. That said, CRT is clearly a dead format and it seems that the fad of style over substance has won out so hopefully the demise of CRT and subsequent closure of the factories will contribute to a faster pace of development in flat panels, better picture quality etc etc

I admit I'm VERY fussy over picture quality and just haven't seen a flat panel which had impressed me enough to buy and I don't buy on price alone when it comes to hifi etc so I can assure you I'm looking at the good stuff.

In respect to the changing technology I'm agreed regards HD-DVD going out the door complete - but, the HDMI spec has changed, the audio formats have changed and currently buying either format is still a gamble as to whether you're going to be set in a years' time or not.

I'm right with you regards the salesman as where I'm very careful to research what I buy it makes me mad as hell when my in-laws come home with information such as this set or that set (for not much money) has full HD etc etc when clearly its not.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]All this talk of the PS3 being your choice as a blu-ray player as blu-ray is better than HD-DVD makes me think that you are slightly missing the point some what. The advantages of HD if it be via blu-ray or HD-DVD are simply not only down to the picture but also about the new sound formats and this is where your beloved PS3 falls flat on its face as it is not able to output any of these sound formats via its optical output so it simply downmixes it to good old standard 5.1.
IMHO no serious cunsumer who regards movies highly would ever use a games console as their choice of player within their home cinema set-up as your existing dvd colection will not look as good as it would via a £200 Denon 1930, not to mention the fact the PS3 will only play region 2 disks.
There are pros and cons for both HD format and a big con for blu-ray is good old regional coding as where HD-dvd is region free leaving the cunsumer free to chose where they get their software from.
Personally I am going to wait for a decent machine to come along that will play both HD formats which will happen sooner than most people think.
And as for the fact blu-ray will win because it has better specs you must have a short memory, which was the technicall superior of betamax and vhs/ and which won hands down? Blu-ray vs HD-dvd- possibly more egg on Sony's face? we will see......[/quote]

Very incorrect. The PS3 will play any Region Blu-Ray disks.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I was refering to it inabilty to play dvds from other regions than region 2 (europe) and never said anything about blu-ray. Try reading what I have writen before trying to be clever as the region coding on blu-ray discs are in entirely differnt regions and as of yet most studios have chosen not to use it yet on blu-ray software.

A

Anonymous

Think the PS3 portion of the DJ KRIME's argument is a bit suspect as this is also a XBOX live tag. Agree with the regional coding on bluray could be an issue if studios pick this up.US HD-DVD/Bluray discs are around £10 cheaper.

A

Anonymous

Xabi17 is also a mr xbox live and very vocal about the ps3 on the sony bashing forums. Wanted to join the discussion of bluray vs hddvd not the tired 360 vs ps3.

I have both and to be honest there is not a lot in it, and they are both a bit noisy as players.

Bluray or HDDVD?

A

Anonymous

I think this may be one battle where the consumer comes out on top - although I don't think there will be any winners.

This is not VHS vs Betamax. The only similarities between now and then are that two powerful manufacturing groups are fighting for the licence to print money in the future.

So 'why am I not bovered'?. Back in the early seventies (yes, I was around then!!) it was chaos at the height of the war. Video shops had duplicate shelves of tapes to sell or rent in order to cater for both formats because dual format players were never going to happen. The tapes were of a different size to start with. The price of single format machines were, in many cases, over £500 (and that is then) so it is not difficult to guess what the cost of d/f would have been.

And after the war ended and the dust settled? Bitterness - at least from those who read the techno press and were constantly told that Betamax was far superior and bought their machine accordingly. The fact that Betemax was better ( broadcasters continued to use Betamax rather than VHS right up to the digital era and beyond ) was no consolation to those with the 'wrong' machine and no new releases to play on them.

Now I believe it is different. For the electronics consumer today, the phrase 'you've never had it so good' could not be more appropriate. Not so long ago, when dvd recorders first hit the streets, there was much debate - Betamax/VHS style - about what recording format would prevail. What was all the fuss about? When we buy a dvd recorder we don't worry about whether it will play dvd-r or +r or dvd-ram etc. These days dvd players play just about anything.

So should we be worrying about whether to buy HD-DVD or Blu-ray ? A top rate dual def player (something like the Samsung BD-UP5000 - when it gets here) costs about the same as an equally good stand alone machine like the Pioneer BDP-LX70. This time next year under £300?. For those on a budget that want high def dvd now, then you can get a Blu-ray (PS3) player for under for that price and hd-dvd Toshiba for under £200. Ventura from China at under £100 maybe?

Neither is the argument about which disk is best going to play such an important role in the debate. Both formats have different merits. Disk capacity, sound, interactivity - all these boasts from the Sony and Toshiba camps mean nothing to me. I have bought a PS3 to re-live my youth and because there are more Blu-ray titles to buy at present.

So while the war continues, and movie studios milk the situation for all that it is worth (What price Paramount/DreamWorks to take up the hd-dvd mantle?), I intend to sit back and relax in the certain knowledge that in a years time I will be living in the best of both worlds.

Am I bovered?

A

Anonymous

....... primarily i bought my PS3 to play blu-ray dvds ..........i may play the odd game !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts