Blu ray help please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is my first stab at this so be gentle. If your home cinema amp does not output the DTS master audio and the dolby digital tru hd sound is it absolutely necessary to have a blu ray player that does. I was thinking of buying the sony BD300, some of the reviews say its ok apart from the loading time and the fact it doesn't have HD sound, but as I said if the amp doesn't output it does it matter, especially if I can get it at a good price

A

Anonymous

Hi Blueboy-well i suppose you must ask yourself what you want from a blu ray player-obviously sound does not matter to you that much[however,surely your amp outputs dts and dolby,so all is not lost there!] Do you just want one for the picture quality?,if so then go for it-but be warned,models will be coming out thick and fast now that the format war has been settled,so just make sure that whichever model you chose,you are going to get a number of years enjoyment out of it.You may want to consider buying an hd dvd[toshiba models],even though blu-ray has come out on top of the format war,you can pick up a quality toshiba model for under £100,which upscale normal dvds brilliantly,probably better than some blu-ray models! Not to mention the fact that you can pick up many bargain hd dvds for under a tenner!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Bluboy:This is my first stab at this so be gentle. If your home cinema amp does not output the DTS master audio and the dolby digital tru hd sound is it absolutely necessary to have a blu ray player that does. I was thinking of buying the sony BD300, some of the reviews say its ok apart from the loading time and the fact it doesn't have HD sound, but as I said if the amp doesn't output it does it matter, especially if I can get it at a good price
Well from your post, I'm actually assuming the HD audio formats are important to you. So, if your amp can't decode the DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD formats and you don't want to replace it, then definitely your best bet is to get a Blu-Ray player which can e.g. PS3 or Panasonic DMP-BD50. For the PS3, your amp will need to have an HDMI input which can accept Linear PCM or for the Panasonic, either that or the 5.1 mutlichannel analogue inputs. If you're not sure, let us know which amp you have and one of us can look it up for you.

A

Anonymous

Hi professorhat its not that the HD audio formats are important its just when you think you are getting somewhere and slowly trying to improve your system something comes along to upset things in some way or another. I actually wasn't aware of the HD audio formats. I thought the HD was only for picture quality, my mistake. I have just changed my amp to a Yamaha DSP- AX861SE and no I don't want to change it. I have also just got myself a new sony flat panel tv. Blu ray was just the next step. I wouldn't mind just being able to enjoy these for a while before having to think about more sound formats. At the end of the day where is it all going to end.Cheers

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, good news as this amp will accept Linear PCM via its HDMI in and also has 5.1 multi channel inputs so, as long as you get a Blu-Ray player which can decode all the formats onboard, you can enjoy the HD audio on the amp without any issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts