Blu-Ray Firmware Updates - Why, Oh Why Do They Continue To Cause Misery?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Trawl through the globe's internet forums and you will find thousands of unhappy people ranting about the difficulty they have had with either trying to update the firmware in their Blu-Ray player, or the result of updating, entering with the greatest intent on making their audio visual experience the best it can be.

Unfortunately, time and time again, those updates cause so many issues it is often not worth the hassle.
My latest issue is with Sharp BD-HP20, whereby upgrading the firmware now means that most of my Blu-Ray library are 'Incompatible'. Okay, not a problem, I will roll back to the previous firmware - No you can't! Not a problem, I'll use Sharp's product support, which was either nil or might as well be nil response. Does anyone know if there is an update coming soon as there is (unsubstantiated) talk for my particular model, suggesting that there would be no further firmware versions?

The next port of call was the various forums, which was when I really saw the scale of the problem, with issues like mine - Incompatibility of previously working discs, or innocently loading the wrong region's firmware with the same result of the last, or appearing to down grade in areas where others have upgraded. Most of these problems result in the hardware becoming seriously disabled, with little or no support from the manufacturer.

I understand that since Blu-Ray is a young technology, standards are changing and hardware needs to keep up with this but is the concept of backwards compatibility, or ease of use, alien to manufacturers? Come on guys (manufacturers), make it a better experience for us.

I'd be interested to see the best after sales services with product reviews as an additional rating factor.

Thanks

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
In most cases firmware is there for a very good reason but i would only add new firmware to my player if i really needed to.

For e.g back in January of this year the Denon 2500bt transport (my player) had freezing issues with the latest BDlive titles Wanted, Hulk etc whilst i was watching "wanted" it did freeze in a few places so Denon brought out firmware to correct this issue, so i had to add it as i needed to otherwise id never be able to properly watch any of the universal BD live titles & the firmware did correct the problem accordingly.

Now there is some more new firmware available for my player but i will only add it to my player "if" i get problems that do need correcting as i believe that you dont fix was isnt broken.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Updating firmware is ALWAYS a dodgy concept. Updating a routers firmware I had once completely killed it. Unless you actually have a NEED to update then leave well alone.

If you feel you DO need to update then make it as SAFE as you can (Nothing else using the broadband connection, component plugged into a mains conditioner or run the update VERY early in the morning when its the least RFI in the mains)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts