Blu Ray discs - why pay more, when you can pay less?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

The camera was just an example of how cheap they can be.

But getting back to Blu Ray. it has very expensive manufacturing costs. Online DVD's will always £5 - £10 cheaper due to the tax breaks they receive.

it is a fact!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
rogueelement:I agree, I wasn't looking to justify their
in-store prices, simply explaining why online is cheaper.

Yup, understood was replying more to Shimminator's post.

Shimminator:Online DVD's will always £5 - £10 cheaper due to the tax breaks they receive. it is a fact!

Are you suggesting UK retailers have to pay 50-60% more tax on Blu-Rays over an online retailer (which is around about what an extra £10 would be on a Blu-Ray)? And why does this tax hike not apply to CDs and DVDs which are generally much closer in price to their online rivals?

A

Anonymous

Not having bought many movies in the past I was pleasantly surprised just how cheap you can pick blu-rays up online. I generally won't pay more than £10 a movie, over that it has to be something I really really want, or I'll just wait to it to come down.

The pricing is odd to say the least- you can grab cult classics like kill bill, usual suspects, stuff that people would otherwise pay a premium for all day, every day for as little as £7 in deals like amazons 3 for 2, then you see movies that got universally panned for £18.

And whats with all the chick flicks on bluray? Why can I buy "sex and the city" or "hairspray" but not aliens or leon? Do the studios understand their market? Okay I'm sure someone will be along to point out that their hugh grant blu-ray boxset is their most treasured possession but seriously, surely there's more blu-ray owners willing to bust out the cheque book for anything from any reviewers "top 100 movies"?

A

Anonymous

Maybe great cinema is enjoyed only by a select few. The rest like the rubbish films, which generate lots of money.

p.s. i'm always game for a godd summer blockbuster though.

Leon should be out soon. Can't wait for aliens though.

robstar63

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Re the query above on Blu Rays at Rdvd.co.uk - (are they second hand or new) - all are brand new and I have ordered many from them with no problems.

When you go to the checkout you will find that the delivery is dealt with by Amazon which gives you more confidence.

(please note though that some Blu Rays on offer are imports with foreign region coding and make sure you look for the one with region B or region free if you do not have multi region blu ray player)

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
rogueelement:professorhat:

- there's no way they are selling as cheap as possible at that price, even if you factor in the extra tax and overheads of a bricks and mortar.

I agree, I wasn't looking to justify their in-store prices, simply explaining why online is cheaper. I do read the back of the boxes though to check if a BD is carrying an HD soundtrack as it's not alway immediately apparent..... then order online
emotion-5.gif

I think that perhaps the the thing with HMV on the high street now is that they do not have any competition now that Zavvi and Woolies have gone so maybe they think they can charge these sort of prices. WH Smiths by us do not even stock BDs and CDs and are scaling back on DVDs, so HMV are on their own.

I guess its a combination of out of town superstores, downloads, online shopping and credit crunch that has caused this situation.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Rdvd is an Amazon pass through site. All it does is pass the orders to Amazon and cream off some commission. Why not just use Amazon?

A

Anonymous

I bought quite a few from Woolies in the week before Xmas. The best one was the 5disc Harry Potter set - £55 to start with. there were 5 sets of them on the shelf. 20% off to start, one went, waited 3 days, dropped to 30% off, another went, waited 2 days more, they were closing in 2 days time, went in at 0830 on my way to work, there were 2 left, and the 50% stickers were just going on - result!

A

Anonymous

hmtb:
Maybe great cinema is enjoyed only by a select few. The rest like the rubbish films, which generate lots of money.

p.s. i'm always game for a godd summer blockbuster though.

Leon should be out soon. Can't wait for aliens though.

But my point is, does anyone who likes pap actually give a stuff about blu-ray? Trying hard here not to be sexist or elietist about it, but I don't know a girl (or the guys I know who like romcoms) who own or care much about HD! And yet I can't buy terminator yet!??!

As for the thread topic (heh) - simple answer- because people pay it! I'm an electrician and regularly get asked to fit light fittings costing hundreds of pounds purchased from certain upmarket stores and the quality/finish is rarely better than £30 argos tatt! Many people have more money than time to worry about what they're paying for stuff...

Oh, little tip- If having a blowout in amazons 3 for 2 group all the purchases together by price or you won't get the best discount cos the 3 for 2 works in descending order! eg:

£7, £12, £11, £11, £7, £10, £7, £13, £12, listed on the order like such will get you 3 free £7 discs and a bill of £69. but:

£7, £7, £7, then £11, £10, £11, then £12, £12, £13 on a seperate orders will get you free £7/£10/£12 discs and a bill of £61!

A

Anonymous

I AGREE, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET TERMINATIR BY NOW. IF YOU WANT IT U CAN GET THE US IMPORT WHICH APPARENTLY REGION FREE. I'D LOOK INTO THAT JUST IN CASE, BUT I READ SOMEWHERE THAT IT WAS - THOUGH NOT A GREAT TRANSFER. MUST SAY THOUGH, I WATCHED REVOLUTIONARY ROAD AS MY FIRST BLU RAY, AND APART FROM MAKING ME DEPRESSED, IT MADE ME QUESTION WHETHER EVEN AT ONLINE PRICES BLU RAYS WERE WORTH 3-4 TIMES MORE THAN DVD. SURE, I COULD SEE THE DIFFERENCE, BUT NOT SURE IT'S WORTH SUCH A PREMIUM, DBD'S HREAT ON MY TV. HOPEFULLY SIN CITY WILL REALLY WOW ME THOUGH. FINGERS CROSSED!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts