Blu-ray: DD + and DTS high-res

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Can anyone clear something up for me - I have bought several Blu-rays and contemplated buying several others to replace some of my favourite films on DVD. However although I've seen ones with Dolby True-HD and DTS HD-MA soundtracks, I have never seen any with DD+ or DTS High-resolution soundtracks. However I have seen some that just say 'dolby digital' or 'dts'. So is it the case that every 'DD' soundtrack on a Blue-ray is actually DD+? Or when it says DD does it mean just that - boggo 448kbps DD?

Examples: shawshank redemption; superman returns; Pan's labyrinth

I've using it as a kind of guide as to how much effort has been put into remastering the film for Blu-ray - if it just says DD, I'm not bothering to buy it as I think it means that they just haven't made much effort and are just churning out a sub-optimal blu-ray with minimal effort to turn a quick buck.

So am I right or wrong? And is DD+ just a higher bitrate version of DD that is backwards compatible with legacy DD decoders (likewise DTS high-res)?

nads

well Pan's labyrinth is DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1

superman returns can just be Dolby Digital but there is a Dolby HD Version out there as well.

shawshank redemption should have both DD and Dolby HD did you select the HD audio track?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
These 3 I didn't buy, because I could only see 'Dolby digital' stated on the covers, and assumed that meant it was bog standard DD, and took that as an indication that I should wait to see if new version of those discs were released with more effort paid to the soundtracks. Although it sounds like I should look about now for other versions of those discs.

Messiah - thanks for that, good info.

TRENDING THREADS