Blown BX2s - need replacements

admin_exported

New member
Aug 10, 2019
2,556
3
0
Hi Guys/Gals,

I am looking for advice on a new set of speakers. I recently had a pair of MA BX2s to go with my Yamaha A-S700 but blew the mid/bass driver while throwing a house party (totally worth it).

I’ve a budget of about £500 for replacements which have to be bookshelf speakers which will sit on a wooden desk. I liked the tight bass on the MA BX2 but I think perhaps it wasn’t as good as I would like in separating the instruments (this is the soundstage??) which I found most evident while playing Linkin Park’s New Divide track – a song which I liked but just could not listen to on this combo, it came across very muddled as did some of my classical tracks.

What I am looking for:

Has to perform well up against a wall (5-10cms max space around the speakers) while being on a desk.

Good, tight but not overpowering bass

Excellent ability in separating the instruments

Also the ability to withstand loud volumes for extended periods would be a bonus!

I noticed whathifi only gave the Yamaha A-S700 3 stars but I like the ‘lack of character’ I think it provides me with the music the way the artist intended while not favouring any specific genre. With this in mind perhaps energetic speakers would be a good idea?

I’ve created a list from research; I’d love your opinion on it:

Dynaudio DM 2/6 (small and has a high power rating)

KEF Q300 (Can get these for about £350 which sounds like a steal)

EB Acoustics EB 1 (The 10 week wait period is really putting me off)

B&W 685 (seems to be tried and tested)

If I’m missing any speakers I should be considering, please let me know.
 

Cypher

New member
Jun 8, 2007
156
0
0
"but blew the mid/bass driver while throwing a house party (totally worth it)"

That must have been some party :)
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
John123 said:
Hi Guys/Gals,

I am looking for advice on a new set of speakers. I recently had a pair of MA BX2s to go with my Yamaha A-S700 but blew the mid/bass driver while throwing a house party (totally worth it).

I’ve a budget of about £500 for replacements which have to be bookshelf speakers which will sit on a wooden desk. I liked the tight bass on the MA BX2 but I think perhaps it wasn’t as good as I would like in separating the instruments (this is the soundstage??) which I found most evident while playing Linkin Park’s New Divide track – a song which I liked but just could not listen to on this combo, it came across very muddled as did some of my classical tracks.

What I am looking for:

Has to perform well up against a wall (5-10cms max space around the speakers) while being on a desk.

Good, tight but not overpowering bass

Excellent ability in separating the instruments

Also the ability to withstand loud volumes for extended periods would be a bonus!

I noticed whathifi only gave the Yamaha A-S700 3 stars but I like the ‘lack of character’ I think it provides me with the music the way the artist intended while not favouring any specific genre. With this in mind perhaps energetic speakers would be a good idea?

I’ve created a list from research; I’d love your opinion on it:

Dynaudio DM 2/6 (small and has a high power rating)

KEF Q300 (Can get these for about £350 which sounds like a steal)

EB Acoustics EB 1 (The 10 week wait period is really putting me off)

B&W 685 (seems to be tried and tested)

If I’m missing any speakers I should be considering, please let me know.
This thread from 'The Record Spot' should be helpful: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/whats-this-new-speakers-now-is-it
 

kevinJ

New member
Nov 2, 2008
51
0
0
If you plan to throw another party, maybe you should rent a pa system so you don't blow your speakers. (they probably blew because the amp couldn't keep the volume up and distortion down, aka not enough power output).

As for new speakers, the B&W 685 will give you more bass than the BX2 did. The Kef Q300 has a nice big soundstage but can sound sharp when you connect them to a brighter amp. That Denon should not give you any problem with that.

But if you liked the controlled bass of the BX speakers, try to audition the RX1 and RX2. They sound more refined and detailed than the BX series.

Maybe have a look at Klipsch speakers too?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Monitor audio rx2 will be hard to blow with its 8inch bass driver. Plus they sound amazing, five steps up from the bx2.
 

Zax89swe

New member
Apr 19, 2011
23
0
0
five steps? it got same tweeter so the sound cant be much diffrent. For hime cinemas or other surround operations I recommend monitor audio else I would go for other brands.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Thanks for all the replies.

Cypher said:
"but blew the mid/bass driver while throwing a house party (totally worth it)"

That must have been some party :)
kevinJ said:
If you plan to throw another party, maybe you should rent a pa system so you don't blow your speakers. (they probably blew because the amp couldn't keep the volume up and distortion down, aka not enough power output).

But if you liked the controlled bass of the BX speakers, try to audition the RX1 and RX2. They sound more refined and detailed than the BX series.

Maybe have a look at Klipsch speakers too?
It was indeed a great party and I regret nothing! I got a sneaking suspicion that someone turned the bass control up (I wasn’t in the room) as the speakers and amp are rated for 100w and were playing for several hours distortion free before they blew…. Too much power I think! I pushed the speaker in and there is no resistance so I assume the voice coil has gone.

I like the Klipsch headphones but don’t know anyone local that stock them to have a listen first.

Zax89swe said:
five steps? it got same tweeter so the sound cant be much diffrent. For hime cinemas or other surround operations I recommend monitor audio else I would go for other brands.
I was thinking the same however they are more expensive to I guess you have to be getting more of something for your money… I’m a little put off by the rear bass port as I could certainly feel the amount of air the BX2s were able to put out and the RX1/RX2s will be close to a wall.

moon said:
you might have trouble blowing up a pair of. 2/6's but good luck .
I was thinking the same thing which is why I put them on the list. Can you comment on the sound quality?

BenLaw said:
chebby said:
ATC SCM7s fit your budget.
Given the OP's stated requirements, these seem spot on.
These speakers do tick a lot of the boxes and they’re from a UK company which is a bonus. Nowhere local to me stock them so if I ordered, I’d be doing it without an audition. The lack of trusty reviews online is also an issue. From what I can find online: they need a powerful amp to sound good at low levels and most likely require a subwoofer as bass is weak (a few posts said this - don't know if they even heard a pair or if it was an assumption on the sealed design). Can anyone comment on these points?
 

moon

New member
Nov 10, 2011
47
0
0
The Dynaudios sound very sweet and are vey well balanced, not the last word in styling though but I guess it depends on the individual.

If you play your music loud and often then you could look at the Klipsch RB 81. bit of a monster
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Further update:

I actually cleared some room for floorstanders (in a corner though). Is it worth looking at floorstanders in the £500 range or just sticking to bookshelf speakers?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Zax89swe said:
five steps? it got same tweeter so the sound cant be much diffrent. For hime cinemas or other surround operations I recommend monitor audio else I would go for other brands.
What a losd of tosh... The RX 1's and 2's are steps above the BX2's and they're still very good speakers

The RX range is based on the old GS range so not sure where you got your info from!

IMO if the OP has room for floorstanders then definitly take a look down that route; however speakers dont like being in corners so a forward firing speaker would be the best option I feel

If you don want to look at floorstanders I can highly recommend the Monitor Audio BX5's, B&W 603 S2's opr S3's (2nd hand) and the Acoustic Energy Neo 3's

If you want standmounts then the M?A RX2's are some of the best I've heard and regret selling mine. Superb speaker with bags of fantastic sound and plenty of deep, punchy and well controlled bass to boot
 
T

the record spot

Guest
If you want the speakers to sit on a desk, then I'd point you, as someone kindly posted earlier, to my Tannoys. They're a very natural and organic sound to them, but deliver a nice treble, with a good midrange and deeper bass than you'd expect. I heard mine with one or two others, but if you want them on a desk, you don't want any hulking great standmounts plonked there.

Get something that won't get overblown at close range - your Dynaudios would be another option, though do try the Tannoys; they're very fine speakers for the £350 you'll pay and I think originallly retailed at £550 prior to the Revolution Signature coming in.

EDIT: Work a treat with all kinds of music (and movies for that matter) - I put Metallica's black album through them the other day and they rocked, while orchestral, vocal, choral and jazz all sit nicely with them too. Best all-rounders I've heard in a while.
 

altruistic.lemon

New member
Jul 25, 2011
64
0
0
I'd go with the Dyns, mate. Not pretty but will stand loud parties (my mate in Oz who had them wasn't known for discreet social events) and sound sweet at lower volumes, too.

The bass can be a touch full at times, but something tells me that isn't going to be a problem!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Sorry for beating a dead horse but:

I read review after review and was pretty sure the ATC SCM 7s were for me. This was, however, before Monitor Audio got back to me on the repair cost: £110 for both speakers fixed. This is rather cheap and would allow me purchase a Cambridge Audio DACMagic plus as well as get the bx2s fixed.

Do you think the Monitor Audios with the DACMagic Plus would be better than just a new set of speakers? I just don't know if the DACMagic would solve the things I disliked about the BX2s. Any help on this one would be really appreciated.

I should note that all my music is played from my PC.
 

moon

New member
Nov 10, 2011
47
0
0
John123 said:
Sorry for beating a dead horse but:

I read review after review and was pretty sure the ATC SCM 7s were for me. This was, however, before Monitor Audio got back to me on the repair cost: £110 for both speakers fixed. This is rather cheap and would allow me purchase a Cambridge Audio DACMagic plus as well as get the bx2s fixed.

Do you think the Monitor Audios with the DACMagic Plus would be better than just a new set of speakers? I just don't know if the DACMagic would solve the things I disliked about the BX2s. Any help on this one would be really appreciated.

I should note that all my music is played from my PC.
Still amazed you managed to blow these things, must have been a great party. I still think the klipsch RB81 would be worth a look for you . good luck hunting.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
If you were happy with the sound of the BX2s why not contact MA and see if you buy a replacement driver?

A few years back a mate of mine decided to turn up my system to full volume (playing Motley Crue :roll: ) and it succeeded in blowing the amp in my Classik and welding the coils on the LF units of my KEF 65.2s. Quick call to KEF and I had a new set of LF drive units for about £50-60 I think.

Subsequently a uni-q unit went to (probably a result of the overload) and I replaced that too. Didn't cost that much - maybe £35?

My Classik never did recover though - cost £150 to get it fixed by Linn and it packed in again about 18 months later.......:mad: mu mate never even offered to contribute to the repair costs.......
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts