BK subwoofer comparisons...

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm considering two models from BK, the P12-300SB and the older XLS200. I was wondering has anyone previously owned one and 'upgraded' if it can be refered to in such a way.?Also is there any noticable diifference re sound presentation in the downward firing models to those that are forward firing? I have suspended wooden flooring, with neighbours below me so I'm trying to bear this in mind. Whatever option I go for I will be placing it upon an Auralex Great Gramma Speaker Isolation Pad. I read somewhere (which I'm now unable to locate} that the 200 model had a superior driver to the newer version? Anyway, any pointers will be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Hi, I'm considering two models from BK, the P12-300SB and the older XLS200. I was wondering has anyone previously owned one and 'upgraded' if it can be refered to in such a way.?Also is there any noticable diifference re sound presentation in the downward firing models to those that are forward firing? I have suspended wooden flooring, with neighbours below me so I'm trying to bear this in mind. Whatever option I go for I will be placing it upon an Auralex Great Gramma Speaker Isolation Pad. I read somewhere (which I'm now unable to locate} that the 200 model had a superior driver to the newer version? Anyway, any pointers will be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks

get second hand AVI or wait for new veneers, promised to appear soon

TrevC

luckylion100 said:

Thanks

I have the downward firing XLS200 mk II, mounted on a granite slab and connected via an antimode, which made a massive difference to the bass quality. I briefly tried it on its side firing forwards and could hear no difference.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Re the AVI I've kept an eye on the 2nd hand market and I think the prices are still a little too steep for me. The BK models are at the top of my avaliable budget. I know the AVI sub is forward firing so wondered if this was the best bet, even if opting for a BK sub. It will be primarily used to compliment music playback, although with the occasional movie watching but music is my prime objective.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
after few months of listening ( and after visit in Andrew's home where Gemini performance was much better than in my living) I've decided to stop using it all together.. I think I need distributed subs or maybe antimode..

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I apply (well it's now set to default) the Yamaha's 'Auto' mode EQ setting. It definitely gives the speakers a fuller presntation, the bass is a little warmer, not boomy, bloated or disorted, just rich, taut and very enjoyable. It softens that lean studio monitor sound which with some genres can make the recording sound rather thin and lacking. I think it's more acceptable to most people's tastes especially if they're unused to hearing speakers such as the DM10's . Visiting guests prefer it, even my daughter after extended listening prefers this presntation. Beyond that I don't use or fine turn the EQ settings further. there is that option if so required. I imagine with an added sub I will then bypass any EQ on the Yamaha. Still there's a lot of trial and error involved. The thing is there's no lack of bass with these speakers in this configuration. I have the exact same speakers stand as you (I liked them from your original bake off pictures) and my room set up looks almost identical to yours.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I've asked the question as I thought you're 100% happy with the yamaha/ avi combination.. if you'll go and get any sub I'd love to read your initial impressions and after few months of living with the sub..

thanks again

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
lpv said:
I've asked the question as I thought you're happy with the yamaha/ avi combination.. if you'll go and get any sub I'd love to read your initial impressions and after few months of living with the sub..

thanks again

with this combination. My whole music library has never sounded so good. I think the combination work wonderfully well together. I have praised the Yahama in other posts, generally after Davedotco mentions it as a potentially good buy to others. I second his comments based on the fact I own and enjoy it. For the money, performance and connectability it's an absolute steal.

A sub of some description will be joining my setup. It's more a luxury add on rather than a must have at present, an itch I need to scatch. Once I've got that sorted, it's the SME 309 tonearm that will be within my sights.

Of course I will post feedback when the sub arrives.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
there was a small issue - now sorted - with one of the cubes and once I have time to set up nva's properly I need to contact 2 participants and find suitable date for all.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
luckylion100 said:
the older BK XLS200 DF sub. Suits my needs perfectly, I hope... ;-)

The 200 in my room was very good so im sure you will enjoy it but id of gone straight for the 400.

would be too big, overpowering it. On what I've read the 200 was the best option/compromise. Amyway in 7/10 days I'll report back as BK are currently putting the 200 together for me.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Andrewjvt said:
luckylion100 said:
the older BK XLS200 DF sub. Suits my needs perfectly, I hope... ;-)

The 200 in my room was very good so im sure you will enjoy it but id of gone straight for the 400.

would be too big, overpowering it. On what I've read the 200 was the best option/compromise. Amyway in 7/10 days I'll report back as BK are currently putting the 200 together for me.

And the difference according to them is much more subtle as in more control not so much about the output?
Let us know

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
but this was also a major consideration. Size.

I'm sure in my current surroundings the 200 will be more than enough sub.  The thing is one can always go up to the next level, it can be never ending... ;-)

And also you could add another sub later.

Look the 200 sounded very good in my room the other day. And my room while not massive is large for most uk houses.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
isn't making much sense. The picture refuses to display, although appears in preview.

I hope you realise that my current upgrading etc is all down to yourself and IPV?! A lot of answer for the pair of you! ;-)

Im sure

Let us know and give it time before forming an opinion

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts