Bit confused by which setup to go with! Help Please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am setting up a new home cinema in my 13ft x 13ft living room but don't want to get carried away so have a budget of £1500ish for the lot.

I am set on getting a Playsation3 to handle my DVDs, Blueray, and mp3 music server requirements. It seems to be the best all in one solution if you are on a budget. I am also set on some budget satellite speakers such as the Jamo A10s.

The problem arises with the LCD Screen. I am set on 32" for my room size but can't decide between going for the Sony KDL-32P3020 at £450 or the Panasonic TX-32LZD80 £600. The Panasonic is a bit more compact and has full HD but I have heard that it doesn't make much difference for a screen this size. Is the Panasonic worth the extra cash?

Secondly, I am not sure whether to go for the Onkyo 506 amp or the 606 amp. If my PS3 upscales then what is the point in having the option on the 606? Also, I have heard the 606 can handle HD audio but is this a necessity for future proofing?

Which amp is best for music and will the Jamo speaker and Onkyo combo go well together for Music and Movies?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Can't comment on the TVs as haven't seen either so I'll let someone else handle them.

[quote user="headfi"]If my PS3 upscales then what is the point in having the option on the 606?[/quote]
None for the PS3, that's for sure. It's only worth it if you might be hooking another source into it. However, it all depends on which upscaling chip is better - in the case of the PS3 I'm positive the PS3 is better than the Onkyo, but if you have a source without an upscaling chip, and the one in the Onkyo is better than the one in your TV, it's worth it. I think deciding on this is a very individual experience, so you'd really need to see anything else you might want to hook up to it in action to decide for yourself.

[quote user="headfi"]I have heard the 606 can handle HD audio but is this a necessity for future proofing?[/quote]

In my opinion, yes, having heard HD audio for the first time yesterday (albeit with an Onko 905 amp, rather than the 606). If you're not going to be playing Blu-Ray, then don't worry about it. If you are, then the 606 is definitely worth the extra.

[quote user="headfi"]Which amp is best for music [/quote]

Well, general consensus is none of the cheaper Onkyo's are particularly great for music. However, one man's poor is another man's great, so you really need to take a listen to one first.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response. Can anyone else give their opinion on the TVs and what amp to go for? Thanks

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If you want Blu-Ray. You're gonna want a full HD TV (1080P & 24FPS). Probably gonna work out a bit dearer than your initial estimates, but you'll be kicking yourself if you don't get it right first time. Definitely favour the Pana over the Sony for this.

A

Anonymous

for a 32" full hd is not worth it a 42" yes are you sure you cant go 37 the pana px80 is only £650

A

Anonymous

Thanks. My room size is only 13ft x 13ft and it looked like 32" would be an ideal size but it's hard to tell in the shop. I did originally set out to get a 37" and the PX80 was the set I was looking at but then I started looking at 32". This is where I got confused whether to go for the full HD or not. I wasn't sure if the picure of the 32" Sony would be as good as the Pana and the extra cash was paying for the Full HD only.My setup is going to get a PS3 into an Onkyo 606 Amp to the TV.

A

Anonymous

You should definitely go for the largest screen you room / budget / significant other will allow.

I have a 37 inch Toshiba I bought a few years back and it's not actually any bigger than the 32 inch CRT it replaced.

My room is not much larger than yours and I really wish I'd gone 42". If it's in your budget Full HD is a must, but I appreciate that at 32" the benefits of a 1080p set may not be make so much difference but if you opt for a larger screen (and budget etc. allows) it's a must.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
qwerty69:You should definitely go for the largest screen you room / budget / significant other will allow.

I have a 37 inch Toshiba I bought a few years back and it's not actually any bigger than the 32 inch CRT it replaced.

My room is not much larger than yours and I really wish I'd gone 42". If it's in your budget Full HD is a must, but I appreciate that at 32" the benefits of a 1080p set may not be make so much difference but if you opt for a larger screen (and budget etc. allows) it's a must.

Get the 37 inch screen and just say, if questioned that the 32 one was more expensive!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts