Biggest gain

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi, would I get a bigger performance increase by swapping my speakers for a pair of Focal Chorus 714v(91db) to bring the best out of the Arcam or by swapping to a more powerful amp to make the Kefs sing?

tosh said:
I listen mostly to vocal,acoustic,americana etc. Also late night low volume listening.

As a former owner of the A65+ I listened to the original IQ5s and wasn't overly impressed. Yes the Focals are a better match, but do listen to a pair of Monitor Audio or even PMC DB1is. Both these are as good a match with Arcam I've heard.

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Would you say the Arcam is dynamic enough for the Focals as I'm looking at a part ex on a mint pair. Also, is it true that floorstanders are better suited for low volume listening?

tosh said:
Would you say the Arcam is dynamic enough for the Focals as I'm looking at a part ex on a mint pair. Also, is it true that floorstanders are better suited for low volume listening?

TBVH, i'd say 'no'. But what it lacks with outight dynamics it makes for with imaging. The A65+ is one of the best sub-£1000 integrateds I've heard in this particular area.

In respect of low volumes, it's true that floorstanders, generally speaking, are better, which is why, if possible, I'll always recommend them with A65 - it's great at idle - medium levels, beyond that the 40 watts start to struggle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts