Big speakers - puny amp?

Linear

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have a Linn Majik I (30w) driving a pair of EB2's.The system is delivering more that enough volume for me and i think it sounds great, but will i get a better sound if i up grade to a more powerful amp? Thanks - John.

Daveperc

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Glad you are enjoying the EB2's - do tell us more about them - mine are on order but I don't expect to get them till Feb (The waiting is killing me - but good for the soul I'm sure!). :boohoo:

I'm planning to trial them with Arcam FMJ A19, Marantz PM6005 and Rotel RA10.

Pretty sure the advice on here to you will be "go and try some different amps!

Dave

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Plenty to try, I would try Creek 50A, if you want more power then RK or MF would worth trying. Think its for you to try and hear, as will depend on you, your room and your music.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Think its for you to try and hear, as will depend on you, your room and your music.

Yes, why not borrow an amp from a friendly hi-fi dealer. The only way you'll really answer your question is by trying this at home.

I think the best advice you're likely to get here is suggestions (of the kind BigH makes) for brands/models to demo. People will be able to make more helpful suggestions if you provide a bit more info. If you were to replace your amp, what would your budget be? What brands are available near you?

:santa:

Matt

Linear

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Daveperc said:
Glad you are enjoying the EB2's - do tell us more about them - mine are on order but I don't expect to get them till Feb (The waiting is killing me - but good for the soul I'm sure!). :boohoo:

I'm planning to trial them with Arcam FMJ A19, Marantz PM6005 and Rotel RA10.

Pretty sure the advice on here to you will be "go and try some different amps!

Dave

Thanks for the replies. I am not an audiophile so will not even attempt to describe how the EB2’s sound, but what I can say is they are a massive improvement on my old mission m71s. Also they are BIG for stand mounted speakers; I had to get some 400mm stands to reduce the height too ear level. Oh yes and the wait for delivery seemed like a lifetime but worth it in the end.

As for my possible amp upgrade, I was kind of worried about under powering them, but given that I am happy with sound and easily get sufficient volume from the system, should I stop worrying about it?

Thanks - John

Daveperc

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I know it's the stock answer, but trying some different amps does seem to be the way forward.

I guess the real issue is what is it about the sound you want to improve?

I do think that hanging round on these forums brings on a sort of "Upgrade-itus" - the never ending search for improvements one probably can't hear!

Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts