admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am so close on buying my first HI-FI system...i prefer a setup with two floorstanders and the amp, for now, but i am a bit puzzled here since most people i have seen on the net are saying that bi wiring is improving the sound quality...since my amp has outputs just for two speakers i am curious on how bi wiring can make a difference...note that the speakers i have chosen come with this option...i really need help with this one...thanks

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
The idea is that bi wiring allows two seperate circuits to power the speakers. One for the HF and a seperate one for the LF. Depending on who you talk to people will say different things on the effectiveness of this. Bi amping (ie having two seperate amps, one to drive HF and another to drive HF) certainly makes a big difference to the sound.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
If you have a single pair of binding posts for each speaker on the amp then bi-wiring wont give any sonic benefit. If though you have a pair of binding posts for each speaker then bi-wiring could be of benefit as you can keep the high and low frequencies apart. This will only work though if the speakers crossover is of the design that can keep the high (HF )and low (LF) frequencies separate. If the crossover is joined internally (this design can be in place even with a pair of binding posts) then bi-wiring wont give a sonic benefit but if its not joined internally and when removing the external binding post plates (the bridge) leaves the crossover with separate high and low frequencies then this would be of benefit.

Finding out about the speakers crossover is key to bi-wiring if everything else is in order.

A

Anonymous

dantcm:
i am a bit puzzled here since most people i have seen on the net are saying that bi wiring is improving the sound quality....

i really need help with this one.......

The answer is simple, let your own ears be the judge.

Bi-wire your speakers and listen. If the sound is better then it works for you.

If there is no improvement in sound quality then all it has cost you to find out is a couple of lengths of 4 core speaker cable.

You will then have your answer and what others think is irrelevant.

It's your music, your system and your ears that count.

Bob A.

dantcm:

I am so close on buying my first HI-FI system...i prefer a setup with two floorstanders and the amp, for now, but i am a bit puzzled here since most people i have seen on the net are saying that bi wiring is improving the sound quality...since my amp has outputs just for two speakers i am curious on how bi wiring can make a difference...note that the speakers i have chosen come with this option...i really need help with this one...thanks

I have to confess when I bi-wired my speakers I could hear a subtle difference, but couldn't decide whether it was better. As a consequence I quickly reverted back to single.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'd say the jury is still out on the benefits of biwiring - some people think it sounds better, others don't.

Interestingly, speaker makers like Spendor and Harbeth have gone back to single-wired posts on some of their models and Naim does not recommend biwiring when using its amps because this doubles the electrical characteristics of the speaker cables, thus possibly causing amp damage.

Personally, I have not found any improvement when biwiring my systems.

A

Anonymous

I have just set up a cinema system using a new Pioneer 920 amp, using 3 old small speakers and 2 front B & W 601s, I have biwired the 601s earlier tonight to get maxinum out of them.

problem was though in music and TV mode they sounded great.

Put a Blue ray disc in and the format changed and my house shock and gave my Mrs a migrane, so what I mean is Biwiring is or seems to be a personal choice depending on enviroment etc, I am no expert by any means but if your speakers allow give it a go.

Happy new year

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts