Bi-wire speakers connection trip my A/V Amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all ,

I am a hi-fi Newbie, recently it seems i've made a mistake in my speaker connections to my CA Amp and Onkyo TX-SR 606 A/V amp Which caused tripping to my Onkyo TX-Sr606 A/V amp.

My Wharfedale Dia 9.1 is a bi-wireable speakers with 2 terminals, I was lazy to keep plugging on and off to switch to my CA amp whenever i need to use for listening to music,

So i decided to connect an extra pair of speaker cables to the other terminal point and direct it to my CA Amp Speaker A connection.

But to my surprise whenever the 5.1 channels start working on the movie sound effects, my Onkyo Amp trip.

I went to the shop and after much troubleshooting and discussion with the dealer which help to setup my systems,

They revealed to me that the front speaker connections is wrong and I have also made a big mistake of not removing the Bi-wire post metal that connected both speaker terminals. which caused overloading.

When i connected only single pair of speaker cables my A/V amp worked again.

1) I was wondering why? because at any point of time I did not turn on both Amps at the same time to supply power to the speakers

what would have caused the overloading?

2 ) What is the metal connection behind the bi-wire speakers terminals?

3 ) My Onkyo amp do not have pre outs so i have no choice but to try out this type of connection.

what options can i adopt so that i don't need to keep unplugging speaker cables to switch Amps
emotion-9.gif

Thanks and best Rgds

Alvin

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hang on, you're plugging TWO amps into the same speakers and you're NOT bi-amping?

That's why it's tripping the Onkyo, you CANNOT do that. You're lucky you haven't blown one of the amps. If the Onkyo has no pre-outs (and you're right, it doesn't, I just checked) then you can't do what you want to do I'm afraid, you'll have to continue swapping the cables. If you're using banana plugs at the amp end this shouldn't be two difficult.

Incidentally if you're biwiring you need to remove the metal links between the speaker's terminals, otherwise you're just single-wiring.

A

Anonymous

Hi ,

Thank you. I guess i will just have to bear with it and do inter-changing of speaker cables. currently yes mine is banana plugs.

no choice
emotion-1.gif

Best Rgds,

Alvin

A

Anonymous

Hi ,

I was reading the onkyo tx-sr 606 and it seems the Zone 2 pre-outs is used to connect A/V amp to external amps.

If that is the case that means i don't need to switch speaker cables but just re - calibrate the speakers setup ?

Most of the A/V amp is using zone pre-outs to connect to external amp. I've check out Denon AVR 1910 it explains the same too.

Best Rgds,

Alvin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts