Bi-Wire or not to Bi-Wire?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I understand the physics behind bi-wire and how it should have a positive effect on a system but I just think my system sounds better when I stick the jumpers back in and don't bi-wire? Has anyone else found this to be the case or am I hearing things?

Cheers guys

A

Anonymous

What physics would that be? There is no physics AFAIK to support the bi-wire argument.
emotion-2.gif

However some folks say it sounds better, some say it makes no difference and some say replacing the solid bridging connectors on the speakers with speaker wire has the same effect.

The only way you will know for sure is to try it and see if you like the effect.

A

Anonymous

i noticed a difference with my speakers, Paradigm Monitor 9's. I agree that the best would be to try and see if it works with your speakers.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
True. Some even say that running two lengths of wire to the same terminals and using the bridge connectors has the same effect - basically as you have twice the amount of copper carrying the signal...

I've gone back to single-wiring on mine, as Naim don't advise bi-wiring (that, and I couldn't really hear a difference to justify going against their advice...)

A

Anonymous

See if you can find a copy of this paper on the Web - Cables and the Amp/Speaker Interface Greiner, R.A. published back in the late 70's. Or Goggle the title phrase.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
It made a big difference to my old mission speakers. Might not be that much of a difference (if any) for ALL biwirable speakers but its def' worth a look.

A

Anonymous

People can decide what they like about bi-wire although I cringe when people say things like "I understand the physics behind bi-wire but I can't hear the difference".

Would you care to elaborate on the physics?ÿ

A

Anonymous

There is a thread on another audio forum which was quite long running and runs to 100's of posts. At one point we get graphs, proof of derivation using some maths that no-one understood. No one was any the wiser at the end. I couldn't remember the site this was on, but I'll keep looking.

It's not really enough to discount bi-wiring just because you think the science doesn't make sense, in reality none of us probably has enough understanding to make that judgement. If you've tried it and heard no difference, then it doesn't really matter.

A

Anonymous

I have enough understanding of the physics to decide whether I want bi-wire.ÿI learnt my science from a physics textbook.

Wikipedia is a good place to start now though.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
I have enough understanding of the physics to decide whether I want bi-wire. I learnt my science from a physics textbook.

Wikipedia is a good place to start now though.

Much respect to you then, it blows my mind and I have physics, electronics and some DSP experience. Anyway, it's just little planets in the wires isn't it?

A

Anonymous

Stereolad:Octopo:
I have enough understanding of the physics to decide whether I want bi-wire.ÿI learnt my science from a physics textbook.

Wikipedia is a good place to start now though.ÿ

Much respect to you then, it blows my mind and I have physics, electronics and some DSP experience. Anyway, it's just little planets in the wires isn't it?ÿ

I didn't say I understood it. I said what I do suits me fine.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Can I just point out that you changed the electrical properties of the cable at the same time you did this so you don't know if you are "hearing" the effect of bi-wiring or the effect due to different cable.

That said I agree - If it sounds better to your ears and you like it more then great do it.

I would not expect miracles though and my standard issue ears always fail to detect any difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts