Bi amping a pioneer A400

Diggerpitt

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Could somebody advise me please.Is it possible to bi amp a pioneer A400?There aren’t any pre out connections.I’ve read that it’s possible to connect one amp to the other from the tape-Rec connection from the one amp to an input on the second and then connect the left speaker to one and the right to the other.If I set the volume control to identical volumes on the two amp I’d then use the volume on my phone etc to control the volume.
Would there be an improvement in the sound quality?I know it’s not true bi amping but does it come close?
Thanks

Diggerpitt

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for your replies.I do like my pioneer but I’m contemplating upgrading and in an ideal world utilising my A400 some how would be great but it seems it’s not possible.
I’m looking currently at 2 Rotel 960 power amps and the 960 pre.Is this a massive improvement?
Thanks again.

abacus

Try the Rotel out and see. (Theoretically it should but the limitation may be your speakers, room or source which means changing the amp is pointless) hence the reason you must always try before you buy.

Unless the amp has pre-amp outs don’t even think about going down the Bi-amp route.

Bill

Reactions: Al ears
Thank you for your replies.I do like my pioneer but I’m contemplating upgrading and in an ideal world utilising my A400 some how would be great but it seems it’s not possible.
I’m looking currently at 2 Rotel 960 power amps and the 960 pre.Is this a massive improvement?
Thanks again.
The 960BX was a stereo power amp as far as I am aware so you d o not need two of them.
you would only need two of they were monoblocks.
if you want a Rotel amp that bettered the A400 then look out for an RA1062 integrated

Diggerpitt

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
What source/s and speakers are you using please?
Hi,I have a Linn Axis turntable and currently stream Apple Music with a view to changing to Amazon music HD or equivalent.
My speakers are Monitor Audio BX2 on stands although I’m looking at a pair of Bronze 5 floor standing.

Diggerpitt

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your reply (y)

Ultimately synergy is the key. My advice is to hold on to your amp as it'll take Bronze 5's in it's stride.
Thank you.So for now forget about upgrading the amp and maybe invest in the bronze 5s?I do like the A400,I think I’m hitting the point of feeling the need to upgrade rather than having to.

Diggerpitt

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Thank you.So for now forget about upgrading the amp and maybe invest in the bronze 5s?I do like the A400,I think I’m hitting the point of feeling the need to upgrade rather than having to.
Thanks for your reply (y)

Ultimately synergy is the key. My advice is to hold on to your amp as it'll take Bronze 5's in it's stride.
Would it be ok to ask further advice regarding my amp?Should I keep it there are many many speakers out there for sale.I’ve come across a pair of PMC DB1i that are fairly local.Although they are more money than I was going to spend on a set of used speakers they are only slightly more than replacing my amp with the 2 x mono blocks and pre amp from Rotel.
Any advice would be very welcome to aid me in my decisions.
Many thanks

Diggerpitt

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
If you want to benefit from the A-400's performance potential than ideally a three way speaker is the way to go.

Btw, how is the music being streamed into the amp please?
My intention is to upgrade my streamer to an Arylic S50 pro+ when Amazon HD is supported.
Currently I stream via an apple airport express into a Beresford Caiman DAC.
I realise there are far better streaming options available but financially the Arylic seems to tick all the boxes.It seems to have had fantastic reviews too.I have an Arylic S10 too but that doesn’t have an optical out to connect to my DAC.
I’m trying to upgrade on a budget really but still trying retain quality music reproduction.
You have been a great help,I’m very grateful.

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
My intention is to upgrade my streamer to an Arylic S50 pro+ when Amazon HD is supported.
Currently I stream via an apple airport express into a Beresford Caiman DAC.
I realise there are far better streaming options available but financially the Arylic seems to tick all the boxes.It seems to have had fantastic reviews too.I have an Arylic S10 too but that doesn’t have an optical out to connect to my DAC.
I’m trying to upgrade on a budget really but still trying retain quality music reproduction.
You have been a great help,I’m very grateful.

Thanks for your replay and you're welcome (y) Hold on to your amp as it has a significant performance potential :)

Diggerpitt

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your replay and you're welcome (y) Hold on to your amp as it has a significant performance potential :)
Many thanks.Would you mind recommending some speakers, new or old that would suit my amp.I know you suggested a three way speaker but there are so many and I believe my amp has a certain sound profile and that it only suits a softer sounding speaker.
Hope I’m not requesting too much?

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts