Bi-amp......again...

garion42

Oct 18, 2007
Visit site
I'm looking at buying a power amp to go with my Marantz PM7001Ki for Bi-amping and was wondering if the power amp should offer the same output (watts) as the Marantz or if I have a bit of leeway either way. Thanks

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
garion42 said:
I'm looking at buying a power amp to go with my Marantz PM7001Ki for Bi-amping and was wondering if the power amp should offer the same output (watts) as the Marantz or if I have a bit of leeway either way. Thanks

I would recommend the output to be the same just so you wouldn't have a frequency overpowering another - I tried it before and it did not sound right! I've yet to bi-amp my Roksan as currently it's just the power amp powering my neats :)

garion42

Oct 18, 2007
Visit site
thanks very much for that...i thought that would be the case - now to try and find a power amp that delivers seventy watts per channel. Most seem to be hundred watts and more....

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to confuse the issue. My understanding is that it's the gain that has to be the same on the two amps, not the wattage.

If one amp has a higher gain than the other then the frequencies is controls will overpower the other.

If they have different wattages but the same gain, one will merely start clipping before the other one.

Certainly Cyrus state that any of their various power amps can be run in combination with any of their integrated amps or in combination with each other, because they all have the same gain.

Hope that helps

:)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The power output of the power amp will have no bearing, its gain level and internal impedancies, however, will.

You could end up with a mismatch causing volume level discrepencies between low and high frequencies. If bi-amping, you would be well advised to use amplifers that have been designed to be used together.

The higher output amplifier is usually connected to the bass/mid drivers, as this will require more power than the tweeters.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
And if you do have a gain mismatch this is easily solved by using a volume control on the amp with more gain. In my actively bi-amped system I use an 8 watt valve amp and an 80 watt solid state amp which has more gain than the valve amp. System tonal balance is fine as my active crossover has volume controls for each amp. I leave the valve at maximum volume and the solid state at about 30% volume. Total system volume is controlled by a volume control between my source and active crossover.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would not Bi-Amp, just either stick with the PM7001KI, or sell it and put the money from that and the power amp towards one single amp, or pre-power. I think you would get better results that way. :)

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Mr. Toast here, I would actually have used two power amps for two separate speakers. It seems the marginal benefits that you would get from biamping would be outweighed by you selling your amp and getting a much higher quality integrated or pre power system. It'll be less complicated too, not to mention that you'll save funds on crossovers, wires and wifey won't release the hell hounds on ya.

Hope this helps and not irritates,

Shafin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts