Beyerdynamic T90 and Grado 325e update

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
A few months have passed now and i thought an update may be useful ...

I still have my Grado 325e and they are a stunning listen, the clarity you get especially noticeable in vocals is amazing. They are rhythmical and engaging with punchy bass. I also still have my slightly faulty Sennheiser HD595 - well they are ultimately outclassed anyway and i have never tried to repair them (i probably should) and i use them with my PC only now as an audio out but not for any proper music listening.

Since my original audition the Beyerdynamic T90 has almost halved in price from being almost £200 more than the Grado's to being about the same price. Recalling how much i liked them i did have another demo and then bought at a nice low price. For this sort of cost they are outstanding headphones. I find them a good alternative to the Grados, as they excell at giving a wider, deeper soundstage but also you hear more intricate details. Best off all is the bass is deeper and whole experience is immersive.

I would hesitate saying the Beyerdynamic T90 is better than the Grado, the latter do some things better, and there are tracks i prefer on either. If i was only allowed to keep one set then i would have to settle on the T90 i think as its presentation is more three dimentional and the bass is fuller and deeper. However it should be noted i use a headphone amplifier (Graham Slee) which the T90's love. If you just want to use a headphone out socket of your mobile device then the Grados will be a better bet. The T90's need extra power to make then shine.

I am very happy and listen much less through my main speakers than i used to. I am loving headphone listening more and more and it more family friendly too. I have been a bit extravagent i know but at the moment it would be hard to part with either pair as they are both useful for different listening experiences.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
0cm;line-height:24.5pt">A few months have passed now and i thought an update may be useful ...

0cm;line-height:24.5pt">I still have my Grado 325e and they are a stunning listen, the clarity you get especially noticeable in vocals is amazing. They are rhythmical and engaging with punchy bass. I also still have my slightly faulty Sennheiser HD595 - well they are ultimately outclassed anyway and i have never tried to repair them (i probably should) and i use them with my PC only now as an audio out but not for any proper music listening.

0cm;line-height:24.5pt">Since my original audition the Beyerdynamic T90 has almost halved in price from being almost £200 more than the Grado's to being about the same price. Recalling how much i liked them i did have another demo and then bought at a nice low price. For this sort of cost they are outstanding headphones. I find them a good alternative to the Grados, as they excell at giving a wider, deeper soundstage but also you hear more intricate details. Best off all is the bass is deeper and whole experience is immersive.

0cm;line-height:24.5pt">I would hesitate saying the Beyerdynamic T90 is better than the Grado, the latter do some things better, and there are tracks i prefer on either. If i was only allowed to keep one set then i would have to settle on the T90 i think as its presentation is more three dimentional and the bass is fuller and deeper. However it should be noted i use a headphone amplifier (Graham Slee) which the T90's love. If you just want to use a headphone out socket of your mobile device then the Grados will be a better bet. The T90's need extra power to make then shine.

I am very happy and listen much less through my main speakers than i used to. I am loving headphone listening more and more and it more family friendly too. I have been a bit extravagent i know but at the moment it would be hard to part with either pair as they are both useful for different listening experiences.

You could try Tyll's (Innerfidelity) Grado ear cushion mod. - It makes a measurable difference and according to him transformed a pair of 225's.

I got the 80e and just clumsily bending my (long) fingers around the foam comfy pads makes a noticeable difference to bass depth and firmness.

To be honest, I haven't done the tape mod yet (will do this weekend) but worth a try. It may well bring them more in line with the Beyerdynamics whilst doing all the nice Grado things.

D

Deleted member 108165

drummerman said:
You could try Tyll's (Innerfidelity) Grado ear cushion mod. - It makes a measurable difference and according to him transformed a pair of 225's.

I got the 80e and just clumsily bending my (long) fingers around the foam comfy pads makes a noticeable difference to bass depth and firmness.

To be honest, I haven't done the tape mod yet (will do this weekend) but worth a try. It may well bring them more in line with the Beyerdynamics whilst doing all the nice Grado things.

I generally take any mods with a pinch of salt in as much as the manufacturer knows what they are doing far better than any layman. However, I actually tried the tape-mod on my 225's last night and it does actually work *shok*. Now gonna look out for some 1" wide black tape.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:
drummerman said:

I generally take any mods with a pinch of salt in as much as the manufacturer knows what they are doing far better than any layman. However, I actually tried the tape-mod on my 225's last night and it does actually work *shok*. Now gonna look out for some 1" wide black tape.

Yes, it definitively makes a difference. I guess it creates more of a reflective outer edge to the otherwise fairly acousticly transparent foam pads (Tyll Hertsen's explanation is more descriptive).

This firms up lower bass somehow and adds some more focus to an already transparent midrange at the expense of some slight 'air' (I say slight as it is of course still an open backed headphone).

I would think that depending of the width of the tape used this could be tuned to a users preference to achieve a lovely balance.

Keep in mind, I have the 'comfy pads'.

Now ordered some bowls out of curiosity.

D

Deleted member 108165

drummerman said:

I've got a pair of SR80's too with the "un" comfy pads. I still can't decide which pair of Grado's I like the most: 80's or the 225's so I just ended up keeping both; but only for the sound signature and occasional use only as I find them mega uncomfortable, especially when wearing glasses. I did try a bowl switch on both and it changed each for the worse.

If I wan't sublime in both comfort and sound I have some HD650's *smile*. I also find the HD598's very Grado'ee, but that's just to my ears.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:
drummerman said:

I've got a pair of SR80's too with the "un" comfy pads. I still can't decide which pair of Grado's I like the most: 80's or the 225's so I just ended up keeping both; but only for the sound signature and occasional use only as I find them mega uncomfortable, especially when wearing glasses. I did try a bowl switch on both and it changed each for the worse.

If I wan't sublime in both comfort and sound I have some HD650's *smile*. I also find the HD598's very Grado'ee, but that's just to my ears.

Interesting. Headphone fit is very personal and after having read a few Grado reviews, most commenting on the pads, I knew I had to try them before buying. I find the comfy pads very ... erm ...comfortable despite having elephant like ears and have no problem wearing the headphone for 2 or three hours (I wouldn't have time to listen any longer anyway, my average headphone listening session probably lasting one to two hours unless I fall asleep with them on!). Also had no issues with the 325 and bowls when listening.

I did however relief a little of the headband pressure to fit my oversized noggin.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
DougK said:
drummerman said:

I bought some EarZonk pads to get the leather types (which kill the sound), but anyway they shipped standard pads by mistake, and I found those more comfy than Grado's original pads.

D

Deleted member 108165

dalethorn said:
I bought some EarZonk pads to get the leather types (which kill the sound), but anyway they shipped standard pads by mistake, and I found those more comfy than Grado's original pads.

Cheers Dale. The leatherette ones look very comfy, shame that they kill the sound.

D

Deleted member 188533

I'd encourage you to start a new thread rather than resurrecting one that's 5 years old.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts