Beyerdynamic DT-1350 VS Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Dashstroyer

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I am currently tossing up between buying one of these 2 sets of headphones. I intend to use them a significant amount when commuting, but also at home. I understand that they are significantly different sets of cans, The Beyerdynamic being specifcally portable, but also double the price. So this leads to my question, the sound quality of the 2? As a larger, over the ear set do the M50's sound better overall? Or do the more expensive DT-1350's have more put into them? D they have different styles of sound?

Thanks,

Dashstroyer

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I haven't heard the Beyedynamics, so my opinion may not be too useful, but my impression of the M50 is that it has a good seal preventing noise leaking and helping to block out noise. They fold up pretty well so aren't bad for commuting/using portably. They are easily run off an iPod, so don't necesarily need an amp. They are very detailed, but not very refined. I found them more detailed but even rougher than my Grado the 80i. Very punchy and brash, but not without a certain charm if you like energy and detail.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The DT1350 has a very distinct hollow sound, which may be un-EQ'able if the one you get is like the 2012 version I bought. The 2011 version sounded better, but the tight clamp gave me headaches, and as the owner of 100 other headphones, the 1350 was the *only* one that gave me a headache.

The M50 is a gangly, loosely-made, bulky, heavy "portable" headphone with very uneven sound. Its claim to fame is a very deep bass and passable hi-fi response for a low price. The so-called circumaural pads don't go all the way around average ears, and because the pads are a cheap plastic, are rather uncomfortable.

Some excellent alternatives to these for portable use would be the Sennheiser Momentum, B&W P5, v-moda M80, Shure 940.

TRENDING THREADS