Beware Of 3 Three

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
If you are going to or planning to get a contract on three network be well aware that even if it says you have 7 or 14 days to return an item it is not true for three!

if you buy a phone of them put the sim card in (which everyone does when they get a new phone) and it has not even been 3 days or 2 for that matter and they detect or check that the phones been used for calls texts or wifi it is non-refundable you are bind to pay the full amount be it a 24-36 month contract with 3% discount that is!

they might have the tempting unlimited data but customer service is rubbish. you have been warned.

should have stayed with orange

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
It would only be refundable if you'd bought it online or over the phone as that is covered by distance selling regulations.

You don't have the right to return something simply for changing your mind.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Then they shouldn't deny you a refund. They should simply bill you for the time you did have it (pro-rata line rental) and any additonal usage.

Clicky

But the key parts are:
The cooling-off period and your right to cancel
If you buy something without face-to-face contact, you will usually have a ‘cooling off period’ of seven working days. It lets you can cancel the order for any reason and get your money back.

If you decide to cancel your order within the cooling off period, you must tell the trader in writing.

You don’t have this cancellation right:
when a new service starts immediately (eg paying for access to a website)if the item is personalised or made to orderif the item is perishable, eg food or flowersfor newspapers or magazineswhere the security seal has been broken on a CD, DVD or computer softwareif you buy something from an online auction like eBay - this is known as a private sale[/list]
If you have already paid for the items or services, the trader must refund your money within 30 days of you cancelling the agreement.
When the cooling-off period starts
The seven working day cooling-off period usually starts on the day after you receive the goods.

But the trader has to tell you in writing:
your right to a cooling off periodhow to cancel your orderwho is responsible for returning goodswho has to pay the cost of returning goods if you cancel in the cooling-off periodinformation about any after-sales servicethe address to use for complaints[/list]
If you don’t get this information, your cooling-off period extends up to a maximum of three months and seven working days. For example if the trader takes one month to tell you in writing, you get a cooling-off period of one month and seven working days.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
They can't circumvent your rights. Put it in writing to them, by fax and email if possible that you are exercising your right to cancel under the distane selling regulations. You have only 7 days to do this, so be quick.

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Thank you lee h for your advice but my pleas r falling on deaf ears so I give up did fax and email but got the same reply you have used it so you can't return it. If only I was a Indian politician maybe I could bribe the call centre staff in India otherwise it's all down hill !

T

the record spot

Must admit, I have never had a problem with 3, and have been with them for by coincidence, three years now.

However, it's not solely 3 who do this, T-Mobile did the same and I imagine any other network does or did too. If you use the phone for calls, then they try to say you can't return it. It effectively starts your contract. However, I've always felt that to be a shaky rule and when I first joined 3, I had the same problem. I was happy to stay with the contract, as it was a fine deal, but unhappy with the phone (duff battery, too short and nothing like the specs claimed).

They sent out a Sony Ericsson K660i which I was keen on at the time, but I badgered hard to get it. Stick by your rights and ignore the India callcentre. Write to Hutchison 3G's head office, which is based in the UK and copy in Trading Standards. However, the DSRs cover you for 7 days after the day or delivery (or collection if that's later, e.g. from your local sorting office).

For your reference, here's the link to the OFT DSR guide, which is worth a read and should be part of anyone's armoury when shopping online:-

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft913.pdf

Good luck with it.

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
three`s terms and conditions

"If you want to return or exchange your device, in all cases it must be in "as new" and "unused" condition. Other conditions apply depending on the device you`ve purchased.
When we say "Used" we mean making or receiving calls(both voice and video) or texts or browsing the internet and "as new" condition means that the device,packaging,manuals,accessories and any free gifts supplied must be complete and free of any damage or marks.
luckily i manage to sell mine and get my money back.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Also, be aware, that if the Ts and Cs of purchase were made, and you then made the arrangement to purchase when you were outside the UK, then none of the safeguarding legislation applies, even though you may have been in the UK when the goods were delivered to you and paid for.

I learned this the hard way !!

peterkin1010

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Having recently been employed by Orange I can tell you those rules apply to to their customers as well.

And with 17+ years of interest in Mobile phones I can speak with a bit of knowledge on the matter.

Best possible bet is to buy a handset SIM Free then get a 30 day SIM Only deal.

Three have improved massivly in terms of their network over the last two years.

Sadly they are totally inflexible so say if you sign up for a Text 500 then want a One Plan tarrif then it's tough!

Even so their One plan, assuming you are in their area of (improving) coverage nobody can beat them in terms of value for money.

A

Anonymous

This also applies to O2. I've just bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 and it was explicit on the envelope containing the SIM. |(

Phill2cool

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
They wouldn't even let me return a phone that I bought 24 hours earlier and completely unopened, I had simply bought my girlfriend a surprise for her birthday and picked the wrong handset, I saw the same staff member who was really helpful, but unable even to swap it for the correct phone, this is not good enough three, it was perfectly sealed and I didn't want a cancellation just the handset my partner wanted!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts