Best Wireless AC router?

daveh75

I'm presuming you have FTTC BB and as you're using a HH5 you're with BT and are using its integrated VDSL modem and wasn't supplied the BT OR Modem?

If thats the case (and you want to stick with using a single box) there are not many decent routers with intergrated VDSL modems.

Kitz maintains a list (and tests many of them).

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0

From that list I'd personally recommend the Asus DSL-AC68U.

I've been using Asus routers for years now and they're superb.

Plus they usually do well in (proper, technical) reviews.

abacus

Why do you wish to change, as the latest HH5 comes very highly rated in all the reviews that are available, (Just check out the computer magazines) and is recommended as a worthwhile upgrade for previous HHs. (The only downside is that the USB port is only USB2 rather than USB 3 so it can be a bit slow if you have a HDD connected to it)

If you wish to go better, than you are talking a significant increase in cost for a suitable replacement. (In most cases well over the £100 mark and probably closer to £200 with inbuilt VDSL and ADSL modems)

These days the speed limitation is normally the client (TV, Tablet, Computer etc.) rather than the router, so unless these are are AC (Or can be upgraded to AC) you will never get the full speed anyway.

Hope this helps

Bill

abacus

bigboss said:
My chromecast just refuses to connect to the HH5. Besides, wifi is rubbish which doesn't improve despite changing channels.

None of the reviews have come across the problems you mention (And they test using appropriate test equipment) so its possible you have a faulty unit.

The HH (Like most routers these days) automatically changes to the least congested channel so you should not need to change this manually.

Have you changed any settings in the router at all, as its possible you have accidently turned off the 2.4Ghz band, which would explain why your chromecast will not connect. (It would also cause some of the range problems you are having)

Is you laptop Wi Fi set to auto, or has it been set manually to a lower speed, which will also cause problems.

Yes, you can use your HH as a modem, the setting is available in the HH menu system.

Hope this helps

Bill

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
if you are having problems with your wireless, try downloading Wifi analyzer for android, or something like SSIDInsider on the pc - with this you can see all the networks around you and what channels are less congested, then make the appropriate changes. Worth a try as it won't cost you anything and it might help!

daveh75

bigboss said:
Is wireless AC significantly superior to wireless N? Only my laptop is wireless AC.

It has higher throughput, but generally less range etc.

If its to cure WiFi coverage issues, then relocating the router, or adding a secondary AP would be a better solution IMO.

BTW if its a RevA HH5 they were plagued with issues, the RevB is better.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
bigboss said:
Is wireless AC significantly superior to wireless N? Only my laptop is wireless AC.

It has higher throughput, but generally less range etc.

If its to cure WiFi coverage issues, then relocating the router, or adding a secondary AP would be a better solution IMO.

BTW if its a RevA HH5 they were plagued with issues, the RevB is better.

I have added a couple of extra wireless access points (router is over one side of the house and the house is quite large) using homeplugs that include their own WAP and it works a treat. This also enables my son's PC, humax and logitech touch to have ethernet connections, reducing load on the wirless network.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
I was hoping for something cheaper than the Asus.

No offence meant bigboss, but if you want advice on the *best* wireless routers, then you're going to have to put your hand in your pocket :)

Personally I've found the most reliable and best home/soho routers to be Draytek. The vigor 2860ac is pretty much what you want, but it's about 250 sheets.

Looks like the older Home Hub 5 had issues. Since replacement, I've not faced any problems. In fact, Chromecast connected effortlessly as well! Not planning to upgrade for now.

Wireless AC routers are relatively new in the market, hence the high cost. Prices should fall over Christmas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts