Best way to connect 2 pieces of speaker cable to make 1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As above really

I've got 2 pieces of QED speaker cable that I'd like to make in to one length so I can connect the fartherst speaker on my desktop; what would be the best way to connect these (if it's possible)?

Cheers

phurst

Apr 20, 2008
Visit site
twist stripped ends together, solder and then heat shrink. Don't forget to put the heat shring on before joining the wires together and keep it well away from any heat whilst soldering or it will shrink where you don't want it to [speaking from experience :oops: ]

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that

I've no access to a soldering iron; any other suggestions?

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979 said:
I've no access to a soldering iron; any other suggestions?
Braid the individual strands, then use a crimp sleeve?

I think you will not get a reliable wire without soldering. The problem isn't the electrical connection, but tension resilience.The core conductor isn't attached to the sheathing so it can (and will) move slightly. If you build the new wire by only securing the sleeve, there will always be a (minor) possibility that the conductor moves and loses contact.

Don't skimp on the overlap when you do this. 4mm should be safe.

edit: oh, and don't use metal crimp tubes unless you intend to re-wrap them in tape. Very easy to short-circuit your amp...

A

Anonymous

I was thinking of doing what you've suggested as I've some heavy guage crimps in my tool box from when I did a wire tuck on my car

Also thought about chock blocks but offsetting them so that they're not next to each other

Either way the cable will be well wrapped with insultation tape so that they dont short

A

Anonymous

Big Chris said:
I suggest you stop being so cheap and go out and buy a piece the correct length.:rofl: ;)

Ah shurrup you... :p

I was thinking that but it's QED XT Evolution and worth using! Think I'll just connect the cables using either crimps or a chock-block and see how it goes ;)

A

Anonymous

Big Chris said:
I suggest you stop being so cheap and go out and buy a piece the correct length.:rofl: ;)
agreed big chris nice one.
cheers.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts