Best way to Airplay - iMac? NAS? iPhone? iPad? Windows? Mac mini?

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Best way to Airplay - iMac? NAS? iPhone? iPad? Windows? Mac mini?

(Have the B&W A7, but need a server.)

That's a weird question! People usually have one of these iDevices / NAS & ask the question about the best AirPlay speaker to suit their requirements. Yours is exactly the opposite! NAS isn't a straightforward option for you. Any of the others will work.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
That's a weird question! People usually have one of these iDevices / NAS & ask the question about the best AirPlay speaker to suit their requirements. Yours is exactly the opposite! NAS isn't a straightforward option for you. Any of the others will work.
The A7 has digital optical, ethernet, USB and AirPlay. Can't any of that facilitate use of a NAS?

Juzzie Wuzzie

Helmut's question really deserves an answer before we take this further. If you own nothing, I'd start with a iPad / iTouch and use that (second hand even) as in my view, a NAS for music is really only necssary if you have masses of music.

chebby said:
bigboss said:
The A7 has digital optical, ethernet, USB and AirPlay. Can't any of that facilitate use of a NAS?

As I said, it's not a straightforward option. You can't connect wirelessly to the NAS, & how will you browse music? Of course it is possible, but that won't utilise the real purpose of a B&W A7.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Have to work a little also :)

We have iPhone4 (16 GB), iPad 2 (16 GB) and Windows 7 laptop (poor battery time). Now would be the time to upgrade (something)!

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Was thinking of an iMac, running constantly, as server.

Synology NAS seems like nice, but my CD collection would fit in smaller space.

Juzzie Wuzzie

Your old computer (if you upgraded that per your previous post) could also act as a server. I expect not the most eco-friendly approach. If your statement "my CD collection would fit in a smaller space" means you don't have a large music collection, why not keep it on your current iDevices and save the (c.£300) you would pay for a NAS. Unless the NAS serves a secondary benefit - such as back-up or the like? A lot depends on what you want to spend, and what you want it to do. If you wanted a dedicated source - what about an iPod touch?

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
IPod 32 GB would give approximation 60 red book cds? The bulk collection have to stay on the PC in that case.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Visited an Apple Store on the way home. iPad Mini was very lightweight, and with a decent screen,

Might be OK, to use as streamer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts