Best virtual systems - up to about 10,000£

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
If you were buying / recommending to friends, what system would you build at the budget abd why? Nominations and rationale, please.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
If looking for accurate neutral almost full range sound with low distortion at high spl:

Squeezebox touch or mac mini

Benchmark dac1 hdr

Atc scm 50a

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
My recommended system would be:

EMT 950 record player

Either Lightspeed LDR passive pre-amp with Coincident Frankenstein monoblocks or Urei 6290 amp depending upon how we're doing with the budget and whether you want to max-out the midrange or the bass

EV Patrician 800 speakers

Why? These are all components I've got in my house and know work well together. I've also had the chance to bake these off against a variety of other components. I would also freely admit that it’s quite possible that there might be another £10,000 system somewhere in the world that I would prefer overall to mine.

For a digital source I’d add a Benchmark or Beresford DAC.

My system is genuinely full range. Will play cleanly at 119dbs all day with the Urei amp. Has proper quality bass. Has a joyful openness and life about it that is lacking in systems with inefficient speakers. Has an organic naturalness to the midrange - especially when the Coincident amps are used. Biggest sonic downside is that the speakers are not nearfield monitors so you get a strange tonal balance if you sit next to them.

An ATC 50 based system would also be a good one for £10,000, but it wouldn’t be for me due to the lack of bass kick and their inability to sound alive at lower volumes.

KEF 201/2's and Sonus Faber Concertinos wouldn't be for me. I hate small ported speakers.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Ah, I have tried this combination and you get a bit of crackling noise as input sensitivity does not match well to sbt.

better with a preamp

Agree otherwise - a lot of the price difference is in the atc cabinet.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Mac mini source with something like this Teac DAC/pre used together with some ATC SMC50A speakers. The ATC's don't actually sound any better than the £5000 Quested speakers in the other thread but they do look much nicer and are probably better built too.

Teac.jpg

ATC.jpg

EDIT - SB Touch swapped for Teac DAC/pre amp.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Ah, I have tried this combination and you get a bit of crackling noise as input sensitivity does not match well to sbt.

better with a preamp

Agree otherwise - a lot of the price difference is in the atc cabinet.

Ahh Ok. In that case I'm not sure which DAC and preamp I'd choose, probably the Teac one because it looks nice. I've edited my post to include a Teac DAC/pre instead of the SB Touch. :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
You forgot the £500 and £250k systems...

I wouldn't ever spend that much no matter how rich I was.

Besides what would £250K buy you? A louder system maybe but can you get better quality than something like the £10K Genelecs?

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
moon said:
Genelec 1038B x2 built in wall.

Here's a better picture. 8)

Genelec-1.jpg

Now we are talking. It would have to be minus the desk, for obvious financial reasons...... But seriously if I had the room this would be the last system I would ever need. Rubs trousers in a Vic Reeves style movement.

and a pool table!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
John Duncan said:

Besides what would £250K buy you? A louder system maybe but can you get better quality than something like the £10K Genelecs?

[/quote

Come see me when you have a £250k budget and I will help you spend it! It is not about loud and the quality is there but at the big money it is about getting the sound bang on for you with as little compromise as possible and with that budget it is easier.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Well off the top of my head and from the products we supply ( with a nod to the house rules ) The KEF Muons, 2 x Paradigm SUB2, 6 x Plinius SA Reference amps, Plnius Hiato and a Linn Klimax DS would be a good start. I am sure some ridiculously priced cables would get you up to £250k. Oh and we better add in some Black Ravioli - I hear it is flavour of the month......

I am sure there is a better way to spend it but the system above would do quite a lot of things very well and look good as well.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
Well off the top of my head and from the products we supply ( with a nod to the house rules ) The KEF Muons, 2 x Paradigm SUB2, 6 x Plinius SA Reference amps, Plnius Hiato and a Linn Klimax DS would be a good start. I am sure some ridiculously priced cables would get you up to £250k. Oh and we better add in some Black Ravioli - I hear it is flavour of the month......

I am sure there is a better way to spend it but the system above would do quite a lot of things very well and look good as well.

Who am I to complain about a Linn DS + Class A amp + Kef Speakers + a big Sub!

.....Oh, and Black Ravioli!!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok ok, maybe a bit over budget (with cables), but i've already heard this system playing but without the SBT, an integraded VTL amp IT 85 and Shahinian ARC, a match made in Hi-Fi heaven ...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Ok ok, maybe a bit over budget (with cables), but i've already heard this system playing but without the SBT, an integraded VTL amp IT 85 and Shahinian ARC, a match made in Hi-Fi heaven ...

The VTL is great sounding stuff (very exciting and dynamic).....a revelation for anyone who thinks all Valve amps are sugar coated.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
John Duncan said:

Yes, the bass, midrange and dynamics of the Genelecs are all quite easily beatable by various speakers costing less than £10,000.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
A Studer reel to reel tape machine would make a great sounding source for a £10,000 system. This would be at the expense of having a much narrower range of recordings available on reel to reel format.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts