Best value streaming device for conventional hi fi

renouj21

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Dear people of hifi, I have a deceptively simple need: I have a conventional hi fi set up (Rotel RA 10 amp, CD player, turntable, Q Acoustics 3050 floor standers) and an Apple Music subscription and I want to add a streaming device so I can play Apple Music through my Rotel amp. Now I know everyone will say Bluesound Node, job done. But I don't need all that firepower. I just want to play Apple Music through my hifi. So I'm looking at the Yamaha WXAD10. That looks like a reasonable option. But then there are even cheaper options like the Arylic S10. In terms of audio quality, any reason why I shouldn't go for the Arylic?

Gray

In terms of audio quality, any reason why I shouldn't go for the Arylic?
Possibly not, but only you can judge the audio performance.
I've seen posts from happy owners of both products.
I think I'm right to say that neither has a digital output, which means you have no option to use an external DAC, but that may not be an issue for you.
Personally I like the option to use an external DAC (My streamer is a Raspberry Pi).
The S50 has digital out but is a fair bit more expensive. For your simple need, the S10 might fit the bill.

Reactions: renouj21

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
Dear people of hifi, I have a deceptively simple need: I have a conventional hi fi set up (Rotel RA 10 amp, CD player, turntable, Q Acoustics 3050 floor standers) and an Apple Music subscription and I want to add a streaming device so I can play Apple Music through my Rotel amp. Now I know everyone will say Bluesound Node, job done. But I don't need all that firepower. I just want to play Apple Music through my hifi. So I'm looking at the Yamaha WXAD10. That looks like a reasonable option. But then there are even cheaper options like the Arylic S10. In terms of audio quality, any reason why I shouldn't go for the Arylic?
If your Hi-Fi is near a TV that can be connected to your stereo, an Apple TV 4K makes a wonderful streamer and turns the TV into an excellent playback control device.

TomMarr

Dec 31, 2021
Visit site
The setup described by @renuouj21 is very similar to my own but, as I understand it, with my very poor technical knowledge, I am seeking to make a connection in the opposite direction. I want to transmit a signal from my CDs player to remote speakers so that I can listen around the house. Will either the Yamaha WXAD 10 or the Arylic streamers do this for me?

Gray

I want to transmit a signal from my CDs player to remote speakers so that I can listen around the house. Will either the Yamaha WXAD 10 or the Arylic streamers do this for me?
Two (or more) Arylic's would do that for you Tom.
You would plug your analogue source (e.g. CD player or any selected source of a hi-fi system, using its 'tape' or 'rec' output) into the 'line in' of an S1O.
Then you would have another S10 in the remote room(s), with its 'line output' connected to an amp and speakers or powered / active speakers. The necessary connection leads are supplied.
You can send to up to 12 rooms, though they recommend a maximum of 8.

Remote amp / speakers need not be expensive.
Something like this little, surprisingly good, class D, single-input amp:
and these speakers:
would do the job for under £100 all in.

This is the solution to that original thread of yours:

Last edited:

renouj21

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Possibly not, but only you can judge the audio performance.
I've seen posts from happy owners of both products.
I think I'm right to say that neither has a digital output, which means you have no option to use an external DAC, but that may not be an issue for you.
Personally I like the option to use an external DAC (My streamer is a Raspberry Pi).
The S50 has digital out but is a fair bit more expensive. For your simple need, the S10 might fit the bill.

Thanks, that's helpful

renouj21

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
If your Hi-Fi is near a TV that can be connected to your stereo, an Apple TV 4K makes a wonderful streamer and turns the TV into an excellent playback control device.

That's an idea. Unfortunately there is a frustrating "corridor" bit of (concrete) flooring between hi fi and TV. I'll have a look though to see whether some rearrangement might be possible

renouj21

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Or you can buy an inexpensive HDMI to SPDIF converter ( c. £20) to give you optical or coax outputs if you don't want to involve the TV. 👍

Hmm, I think I have discovered a problem. My Rotel RA10 amp has no digital inputs. It does have what look to my untutored eye like RCA inputs - does that work?

Tinman1952

Hmm, I think I have discovered a problem. My Rotel RA10 amp has no digital inputs. It does have what look to my untutored eye like RCA inputs - does that work?
Yes you are right. The RA 10 does not have any digital inputs so you would need a streamer with built in DAC. I have the WXAD 10 in my bedroom and it is an excellent little device which does Airplay also.

Tinman1952

Ah, OK. So you use the R/L line out sockets on the WXAD 10?
That is correct. It has an excellent Burr Brown DAC inside which many rate highly.
The only 'problem' is you need an Apple device to send the Apple Music to the WXAD10 via Airplay and that device needs to be on all the time to play the music. If you have a spare iPhone, iPad or Mac then no problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts