best value streamer, suggestions please?

robotronic

May 26, 2009
Visit site
If possible with some kind of remote, can be on android, and also wifi and usb? Best if screen can double up on android phone....if not any cheaper value option.

Last edited:

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Take a look at a Google Chromecast Audio. Here's a review from this site:

They've stopped making them, but grab one off Ebay.

scene

They've stopped making them, but grab one off Ebay.

They're great - and a bit cheaper at MyMemory (direct or via eBay)
Google Chromecast Audio
- £27.75 all in, they're even doing a two for £45 offer :)

inias

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
I bought an Onkyo NS 6130 on the cheap in a clearance sale : plenty of wireless connection options, extensive file support, 2xusb, sounds brilliant. Android app is decent as long as you are organised with your playlists...

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I use half a laptop. It was dropped, and the screen & hinge broke. As the local technical person, it was given to me as a "see what you can do with this" thing, so I filled the internal hard-drive with high-quality digital music, and installed Spotify, iTunes and VLC.

The HDMI output goes to a projector for movies (the DVD drive still works), and the audio is sent to a Cambridge CXA80 via USB. It's always on, and Spotify is always open, so I can control it from my laptop, tablet or phone. If I want high-quality files, I use iTunes and the Remote app for the iPad.

In all, it's a streamer/CD/digital player which happens to be able to run video as well.

Older laptops can be had for £100, and if you use an external DAC the quality should be as good as anything.

Chris

robotronic

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Ok, thanks for your responses, is there any device streamer/player which can also accept USB Hard Disk so I can play music from this and if possible have remote as android phone with a display on? Of course it needs to support at least FLAC files, DSD would be nice too. And it needs to be connected to DAC

Forever Young

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I bought Audirvana for the PC. Got USB to my DAC. I already had the DAC and PC. My PC plugs into my telly, in the living room. I use it for Netflix and Amazon viewing, and the kids play games and even use it for homework. You can get alternatives to Audirvana. Some have a mobile app that lets you use an android as a remote. I also spent a little on cooling, so it's quiet. The downside is you still have fans unless you spend lots of money on making it completely silent. The up side is the hardware never gets out of date because my PC is updated a bit every few years. The software updates itself and I don't have to mess about with flashing firmware, and hoping I won't brick some expensive box. Audirvana plays nice with the DAC, through the asynchronous USB. It's not fancy but is extremely flexible and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Reactions: robotronic

manicm

If you’re on a tight budget but still want the kitchen sink, I just bought my mum a Denon Ceol N10 with supplied speakers ( you can add your own). And honestly for the price it’s brilliant. It even has a CD player, and I’ve connected the tv via optical so my mum can play Netflix etc through it.

It’s fully connected, and sure, it doesn’t have earth shattering bass but you can add your own speakers later. Btw Flacs through the usb sound rich and full. And it’s fully connected - Spotify, NAS are all on the table.

I got it for the equivalent of about 350 quid. Comes in black, white and grey. The white looks great.

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
I tried the node 2i both on its own with its internal DAC and also with an Arcam irDAC-2 - I can hear a bit more detail using the Arcam DAC and a wider soundstage, but I lose Full Tidal Masters support if I use the Arcam so I tend to now just use the Node 2i internal DAC - I think it’s pretty good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts