best value Blu Ray in the sales???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Is this the one that you're saying we have to wait till the January issue to find out about? The one that blows everything else away?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:Is that because you know the BD55 can't quite cut it?! Doh!
Not at all - just taking my time before taking the plunge into Blu-ray Disc at home, as it will probably require a TV upgrade at some point, too, and I also want to be sure the BD format is finally settled and sorted before spending money.

But Clare has a point - a machine able to play everything including a fairly extensive SA-CD collection would be interesting...

A

Anonymous

I'm sure the prices will come down a fair bit over the next few months, think i'll stick with my PS3 for the time being. I'd love to see how much better the superior players are as Blu Ray already looks stunning to me!

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
...and of course you can lower every price (except for Panasonic's) by £10 due to Richer Sounds' price beat promise... although I think because of your mega-test issue coming out next week and the mysterious comments about Oppos, you may have killed off any possibility of anyone spending any cash today!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Nothing mysterious about our Oppo comments - click on the link in my earlier post and you'll see I was referring to the Oppo Universal Blu-ray player due later this month!

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
so basically you're saying....

If you're rich, go for the 3800
If your credit card can handle it, go for the 2500
If you want to get into Blu ray and maybe hope that your wife doesn't notice it on the bank statement, go for the BD55.

Is that about right?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks Clare.

Prefer the look of the Pioneer but the Panasonic will operate via Viera link and there's already enough remotes around the place.

Hopefully I can sweet talk my better half as the price isn't to be sniffed at.

Hopefully a noticeable difference over the PS3.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to come in late but which of these players is best for CDs? I currently use a denon dvd-2910 for dvds and cds plus a PS3 for blu-ray. However the sales have got me itchin. Have a yammy 863 amp so processing not a problem.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I'll quite happily answer that one, CD playback on the Pioneer is simply brilliant, I can't believe how good it is.

AndrewH13

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Nope - we haven't had the Oppo in for test yet!

Hi, I had read an Oppo statement that there was no UK model planned, have you heard it's definately coming?

I have a Tag McLaren AV amp so would be using analogue for sound. Any advice which would be better Panasonic 55 or Pioneer 51?

A

Anonymous

From what i have been reading on the internet on other sites alot of people have been saying the Pioneer BDP-51FD is the best Bargain player on the market at the moment , you can get it for £325.00.
I think this will come 1 st or 2nd in your Blu-Ray Test , I look forward to seeing what the results are .

I think when it comes to picture Quality the Pioneer will win just like the Kuro plasma,s , with a fireware upgrade in Feb / March i dont think you can go wrong with this Blu-ray player.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
HI,

Is that because the Panasonic is usually almost £100 dearer?

Still not persuaded 'er indoors' we need an upgrade from the PS3 now the 'battle' has been won...

Pioneer or Panasonic - food for thought.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AndrewH13:Hi, I had read an Oppo statement that there was no UK model planned, have you heard it's definately coming?

Well, I have an email from Oppo saying as soon as they have them I will be getting a review sample, so...

A

Anonymous

Decisions,Decisions,i'm still confused might just wait til the magazine's out and then maybe a little trip to S&V

I like the look of the Pioneer the best although the Sony is quite nice

A

Anonymous

Luckily managed to find some techy-minded friends with Panasonic BD55, Sony 550 and Pioneer BDP-55. Tested all on a 5090 Kuro with Yamaha Z7 and M&K Xenons with SB1250 sub. Panasonic did have the edge over the Sony (unilateral opinion) when bitstreaming audio through the Z7, or coming straight from bluray. Better imaging, colours and soundstage. Then we looked at the Pioneer BDP-51 and it really did blow the others away. Quite simply much better picture and sound. More drama, more filmic, clearer dialogue and richer natural image. In fact, just like the WHF review states 'refinement and finesse'. CD player excellent too.

Ethernet not important to us as can burn upgrades to disc, plus not interested in low qual extras. At £325 for the Pio 51 (and fast running out apparently), we put our order in! Worth noting that this was all viewed on a 50" screen, and a 9th gen Kuro at that, so Pana 55/Sony 550 might be absolutely brilliant for smaller screens but the price differential is much reduced right now, so temptation kicks in. Enjoy.

p.s Glad no-one had a high end Denon or Pio for testing!! Daren't see what that looks like on a Kuro or proj.!

A

Anonymous

This is a fantastic thread.

Question though for you Clare, I need analogue audio outputs for my Denon amp. And it doesn't upscale so the DVD / BD player has to do all of the video magic. On that basis, I was looking at trying to get the best value Denon 3800 I can find, once I've saved up for it.

If I decided that I really can't afford it, and needing the analogue quality audio outputs, which is the next player down which you think would suit my setup best? Really tempted by the Pioneer 51. If it is in fact the best balance of quality and value. Credit crucnh and all that!

TRENDING THREADS