best treaming solution

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hello there

i'm searching for the ultimate streaming solution for my setup, wich is a simple stereo setup (marantz amp and triangle speakers)

now, i concidered a lot of options, but i can't get out of it.the problem is that what ever i pick, there is always a negaive point to it.

here are my options:

media player + (monitor) , and wich media player is good? (dune, apple tv, lacie, ...?)

htpc

mac mini

all in one systems like olive

or just a old mac pro (connect by optica to a dac or something) or usb

i am on a tight budget, and i wish as minimum noise as possible, and offcourse performence to a certain degree

please help, i'm clueless.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The sound quality from any streaming solution should be good regardless of your final choice. The most important part of a good streaming system is its interface.

The system needs to be easy and pleasant to use.

Your budget will determine your choices.

What is your budget and what kit do you already have?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Since you already have an amp, then maybe a streamer like the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 or the Pioneer N50 would suffice. If these are beyond your budget, then maybe streamers from NAD or Marantz (which would make a good match for your amp).

Is your music stored on a NAS?

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
no, it's just on my pc, i had it once on my external hdd, but it died and lost all my music, so i don't trust those systems not fully 100%

and my budget, if i can a second hand device, it would be great en my budget would be 250 or something, but than it must have it all, otherwise something cheap with some add ons like a monitor external dd or whatever

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
How about a refurbished iPod Touch from the Apple store and an Airport Express?

Set up the iTunes and the AEX on your Pc and remotely control it all with the iPod Touch using the remote app, or stream directly from the Touch. The Airfoil app can be used to stream non iTunes audio, Spotify for example.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
alializadeh said:
no, it's just on my pc, i had it once on my external hdd, but it died and lost all my music, so i don't trust those systems not fully 100%

The way to avoid problems like that is to have a regular back-up routine. You can buy a 2TB USB external HDD for about £50, and there are plenty of freeware programs that will do daily back-ups for you.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
matt49 said:
alializadeh said:

The way to avoid problems like that is to have a regular back-up routine. You can buy a 2TB USB external HDD for about £50, and there are plenty of freeware programs that will do daily back-ups for you.

Indeed - it's no more safe on your PC given that this is just a single hard drive as well and also could fail.

Sorry to go off topic, just thought it was worth making this point again!

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
yanks for the tips about the back up, but is it all tha same? laptop? mediaplayer? olive type products?

and i was actuely thinking to buy a SACD player, is it a good idea? or should go witht he flow of the 21st century, wich is digital audio?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
alializadeh said:
yanks for the tips about the back up, but is it all tha same? laptop? mediaplayer? olive type products?

If I were thinking of buying a streamer that contained its own hard disk, I would want to be 100% sure that the streamer would allow me to back up my music files to an external HDD. In fact, I wouldn't buy that kind of streamer anyway: I'd want a box containing an HDD that I could replace cheaply and easily, in case the HDD failed. A NAS or PC/MAC or external HDD is the only data storage option I'd consider.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
alializadeh said:

and i was actuely thinking to buy a SACD player, is it a good idea? or should go witht he flow of the 21st century, wich is digital audio?

After 50 different posts on the same subject I think it's about time you took the good advice you've been given and make a purchase.

Go buy a Sonos connect, sign up to Spotify enjoy the music and move on :wall:

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I recently ventured into the streaming world.......bought the new nexus 7,and a Harman kardon Bluetooth receiver that plugs straight into me amp,and currently using 30 day trial of Google play,will then try spotify,and also using tunein for internet radio. I was pleasantly surprised at the audio quality of the Bluetooth device, and must say.....I am absolutely loving it. I can relax and listen to virtually whatever I like,and also use the tablet for everything else.very happy. :grin:

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
alializadeh said:

yeah.. but his external hdd died so recommending external hdd doesn't make much sense.. maybe two hdd's; one to back up pc and second to back up first hdd?

I wouldn't recommend AirFoil to anyone.. it's worse sound quality than AirPlay. bought airfoil myself and returned after two days. full refund.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
lpv said:
yeah.. but his external hdd died so recommending external hdd doesn't make much sense.. maybe two hdd's; one to back up pc and second to back up first hdd?

That was precisely my point. You have to have two disks: whether they're external USB disks or disks in a PC/Mac or NAS is irrelevant, so long as you have (at least) two of them.

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
ok, but after the suggestion of a tablet with all kinds of apps to play music, my choises are now more than before :p , and that was not my intention. i love the fact that you can play radio or spotify from your couch. BUT, i allready have a HD flac collection, it's not large, but....

so is it a personal choise? tablet via bluetooth OR pc/mediaplayer to dac to amp

and btw, i'm looking for a long time solution

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
alializadeh said:
ok, but after the suggestion of a tablet with all kinds of apps to play music, my choises are now more than before :p , and that was not my intention. i love the fact that you can play radio or spotify from your couch. BUT, i allready have a HD flac collection, it's not large, but....

so is it a personal choise? tablet via bluetooth OR pc/mediaplayer to dac to amp

and btw, i'm looking for a long time solution

sell your marantz amp and get marantz m-cr510?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts