Best Style Speaker Package for Music - sub £1000

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Am looking for a nice little speaker package for my tiny living room. Am mostly concerned about getting the best possible music performance from the package (but still want a surround system to enjoy movies, and am sure all will be good enough performers for this)

My shortlist so far is

+ Kef 3005 (not SE, £500)
+ Mordan Short Genie (£500)
+ Kef 2005.2 (£500]
+ Tannoy Arena Lite (£800)]
+ Audica CS System 2 (£750)

How would you rate these in order of musical ability (stereo mainly). Or any other packages i shold have a look at in this price range? Wouldn't mind the 3005se, but think they are a bit out of price range right now...

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Think i'd gor for the Tannoys mate having listened to a few of the above. The Kef 3005SE's are great though so may be worth saving a waiting a little longer. Alternatively of course you could buy a good set of stereo speakers, which would give superior sonic ability in stereo, and add to the package over time to create a surround system. I did that with some B&W 601's ages ago and now have a 7.1 set up i love; but that depends for you on space and aesthetics i think.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd agree that of the above list, the Tannoys are the best (and that if you saved more the 'SE' KEF3005s would be better). The Audica system is definitely worth hearing, too.

One slight word of warning, however - as mentioned above, none of these small style speakers will excel with music: more traditional-style speakers will offer better performance at the money.

For example, something like the Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package (here) would offer better music and movie performance for £500.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input. Actually had a first listen to the tannoy package today, and was pretty pleased with what I heard. Although still no competition to proper stereo speakers...

I've glanced at the 1010i package also, but it's just not as stylish as the other packages... Will try to check them out in-store for a demo soon.

How about building a package around the Kef iq5se? I like the looks of these speakers? But don't know the best choice of speakers for center/surround/sub for a setup like that?

A

Anonymous

how are the tannoy arena (not light) in comparison to kef 3005se? saw the tannoy's for £800 which i think is a pretty good price.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
This is one post I'd like to put to the test actually - would the Q Acoustics 1010i package (RRP at £500) be better than the KEF 3005SE package (at £1,000) as the post suggests?

If so, or if not sure, I think this would be a great feature as I've seen a number of people on the forums suggest the KEFs cos they've seen them in the magazine, but, when pushed, would have been okay with traditional box speakers. Would be a great feature to compare the two together i.e if you want style, go for this, but if you want traditional, this system surpasses them... And just do this for each style system as the price increases.

Does this make sense?!

A

Anonymous

I managed to get the 3005SE from HiFiX for £795 if that helps you and can strongly recommend them - with the usual caveat about playing music.

A

Anonymous

if the Q Acoustics package would be better for music than the kef 3005SE setup, would the Quad l-ite package (now £495-£550) be a decent option for music and movies?

A

Anonymous

One slight word of warning, however - as mentioned above, none of these small style speakers will excel with music: more traditional-style speakers will offer better performance at the money.

These posts are already a few years old...but I have a very similar question. If I want to pay between €1000-1500, what are some speaker packages that will excel with music? Are there any "style" speaker packages that fit the bill? I plan to buy a Denon 3312, and, I have a relatively small (75 q.m.) apartment so I don't want huge speakers.

I live in Germany so some of these brands (Q Audio, for example) are hard to find here.

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Just somthing a little different and i know its not a style system but they look good! What about the monitor audio BX2 package it can be had for less than £1000 but you have to factor in stands. But have a word with your dealer you may be suprised and strike a deal with you.

I got my rear MA offical stands for the r90's for £40

But I also agree with biggboss the MA radius series is a great place to spend some money

A

Anonymous

gareth Ottywill said:
Just somthing a little different and i know its not a style system but they look good! What about the monitor audio BX2 package it can be had for less than £1000 but you have to factor in stands. But have a word with your dealer you may be suprised and strike a deal with you.

I got my rear MA offical stands for the r90's for £40

But I also agree with biggboss the MA radius series is a great place to spend some money

I will try and audition these...any idea how these compare to the Dali Fazon 1 or 3's, or the KEF 3005SE - K2? All are "five stars" here in the What Hifi reviews.

A

Anonymous

Well i have never heard the Fazon but i have a heard the KEF 3005SE and there nice i found them to be very listernable for long periods but lacked a little presence. I dont know if you where are talking about listening to the Radius or the BX2 but i can vouch for the radius system they have a very exciting sound but the best thing about the Radius system is that you have plenty of options/configerations to choose from.

There ment to pair up well with yammy's

Give them a whirl you will not be dissapointed

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
id second the radius hd suggestion.. you can mix/match different speakers in the range.. i have 225s for left/centre/right with r90s for surrounds and rsw12 sub.. really sound great

bigboss said:
What about Monitor Audio Radius HD series? They're brilliant with music, & will match your Denon well. Look at R90HD10.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd/r90hd10/

A

Anonymous

Nice choice and i hope you enjoy them for many years to come

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
MA Radius are excellent with both movies and music. The combinations are fantastic and finish is superb. I would advise getting a BK Sub,as good as the Radius sub is you can do much better for the £.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, All...

I heard the KEF 3005SE, and, they were very nice, but, not so great for the money that I grabbed them. Then I went across town for the next dealer (it seems no one has two brands where you can hear both in Germany) and listened to the Dali LCR 5.1 set up (bigger speakers, very pretty) which sounded much better, but, the price tag...was well out of range. Dealer had the Dali Sat (the €1600 package) on order.

I am not sure any of these "style" 5.1 packages do justice to music...and I am getting a little frustrated. Do I need to go to say, five "bookshelf" speakers to get good musical sound (same dealer has a deal for five KEF iQ30's for a great price, under €1000, but I would need to add a subwoofer..and I am not sure about using an iQ30 as a center).

Unfortunately, the highest rated "style" package in What Hifi for the year, the q7000 is not auditionable here. I would have to buy it in the UK and have it shipped. The best "style" 5.1 package for 2011 in the USA mag, Sound and Vision, was the Paradigm MilleniaOne, also, not available here in Germany.

As I start moving into the smaller, "normal" 5.1 I get to maybe, Tannoy Revolution Compact ((€1300 here, about my budget limit unless I am totally wowed). There is another version with two front towers that is not too much more money, but, again, I would have to drive hours to hear them....anyone have a set?

Lastly, Here is option "B"...aka, the "I have given up" option...

Since I care about music fidelity with music, and with a movie, I just hate listening to the tinny built in speaker in my flat screen, maybe just get some cheap-o 5.1 package for the occasional surround movie and two good L /R stereo speakers. Just a thought. I would be happier if I could find a 5.1 package where the music thrilled, too, and prefer to avoid the huge boxes in the living room.

Thanks in advance!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts