Best speakers with Yamaha A-S500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm an avid fan of my squeezebox and have finally decided to do it justice by upgrading my amp and speakers. I have a catholic taste in music which ranges from classical to rock and I like a bit of bass.

My budget is not huge and auditioning equipment is not really an option where I live. My living room is about 6mx10m.

The review of the Yamaha AS500 amp has me convinced but the question is which speakers will match well?

I'm considering the Monitor Audio BX2 or Wharfedale 9.6 at the lower end of the prices pectrum ranging to B&W 685, B&W CM1 and Dynaudio 2/6 at the top end. I have access to very few other brands unfortunately but other models of the brands I have listed are probably available.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Just heard a friends B&W 684's and I think I'm sold. Have now changed direction completely and will probably choose 684's or Mordaunt Short Aviano 6's.

A

Anonymous

Hello

I think if you're going for that budget range then you must demo the Monitor Audio RX6's and the QUAD 22L2's as well.

Both are fantastic sounding speakers and in my opinion, work REALLY well with NAD, Yamaha, Arcam and Rotel amplifiers

I'm looking to upgrade my B&W 685's currently (which are superb speakers as well) but I really like the look of the Monitor Audio RX2's and the QUAD 22L2's. I'm aiming to spend £500 or less and both of the above fit into my budget currently...

I heard the Monitor Audio RX6's today along side the B&W 684's and the QUAD 22L2's and the RX2's and would definitly have the RX6's if I had that budget. BUT... The Quad 22L2's were VERY good indeed also and superb for bass, i felt if not as good, maybe a little better than the RX6's (for my taste in music (Hed Kandi etc...)

I'm definitly not ruling out the Monitor Audio RX2's though as they were superb indeed and to be honest, the wife and I do like the look of standmount speakers

A

Anonymous

i'm running a pair of dynaudio dm 2/7s off an as-500 and to my ears the combo sound excellent, there is plenty of bass on tap, and it's tight and fast, highly reccomended
emotion-21.gif

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
The newer Wharfedale 10.1s are worth serious consideration as they were a massive step up over the older 9 models IMHO. Also worth trying the Mission 790s which are a good match.

matthewpiano

hifilover1979:
Hello

I think if you're going for that budget range then you must demo the Monitor Audio RX6's and the QUAD 22L2's as well.

Both are fantastic sounding speakers and in my opinion, work REALLY well with NAD, Yamaha, Arcam and Rotel amplifiers

I'm looking to upgrade my B&W 685's currently (which are superb speakers as well) but I really like the look of the Monitor Audio RX2's and the QUAD 22L2's. I'm aiming to spend £500 or less and both of the above fit into my budget currently...

I heard the Monitor Audio RX6's today along side the B&W 684's and the QUAD 22L2's and the RX2's and would definitly have the RX6's if I had that budget. BUT... The Quad 22L2's were VERY good indeed also and superb for bass, i felt if not as good, maybe a little better than the RX6's (for my taste in music (Hed Kandi etc...)

I'm definitly not ruling out the Monitor Audio RX2's though as they were superb indeed and to be honest, the wife and I do like the look of standmount speakers

What are you looking to improve about the 685s? Have you had MAs in the past by any chance?

hifilover1979:
Hello

Hi hifilover1979

Yamaha's A-S500 amplifier is excelent. Dynaudio's DM 2/6 and DM 2/7 speakers are superior to the 685's in their own right and importantly work very well with the A-S500. Over the last week or so i've also been using the A-S500 and DM 2/6 speakers which are being fed with the stunning QBD76 DAC. This system sounds superb.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the above advice.

No never owned Monitor Audio speakers before; have always been a huge B&W and Acoustic Energy fan...

The RX2 speakers really impressed me though and I definitly feel that they're a significant improvement over the B&W 685's.

The Dynaudio's I havent heard yet; they're next on my list but again; a little over budget (more so when I need to calculate for the Partington speaker stands as well)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts