Best speakers for an Onkyo TX8050?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok,

So after reading previos posts and calling a number of shops it seems I will order the Onkyo TX8050.

Now I need to think about speakers. What speakers would you guys pair with the TX8050. I listem a bit of everything but mostly 60' and 70's rock, soul, reggae, country folk and to a lesser extent classical and jazz. My room is quite large (7 meters X 10 meters) and with high ceilings (in some parts the ceiling is 2.5 meter high and in others it opens up to a 3rd foor height of probably 7.5 meters or so). The floor are clay (terracota) tiles (no rugs, no wood - probabaly tiles are not the best for music listening). I therfore think I need some floorstander speakers for a bit of added power given that the room is relatively big but I may be wrong here- I am just a newbie on this :) So feel free to correct me.

I ma not a sound freak to be honest. As i say i am a newbe and probably it is still easy to please my ears :)

My budget is 250-350 pounds although i could go up to 400 or so if needed.

Unfortunately I do not have nay good Hifi shops close buy that would let me test some speakers so I need to rely on this forum's wisdom :)

I was looking at Tannoys Mercury V4s.

Thanks for your advise!

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I tried onkyo Tx8050 with 2 speakers. Tannoy M1 and Dali Lektor 2. Not the same speaker but thought it worked well with the tannoy. Not so with the Dali Lektors. Used in a much smaller roon though. Buying blind not ideal but Tannoy V4 would look a fair choice.

A

Anonymous

Thanks jonomd!

Just another question. I do not have an smartphone (no iPhone nor Android). Could you tell me how easy/cumbersome is to control the spotify player in the TX8050 if you do not have an smartphone? Can I use the remote control, or latrenatively, could I use my laptop to control Spotify playing?

Thanks!

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I used the remote for all the controls. Plugging in information like titles is a long drawn out process through the remote.

With spotify i found creating playlists and finding artists were much better to do on the computer. Easy enough to go through the lists once created with the remote. Spotify and internet radio works well with the amp ( used with a wireless adapter).

One thing i found with spotify was that I could not make a random play playlist ( always had to play the order set on the computer). I may be possible but I could not see it. Its been a while since i had it but i recall that you could move on to next track ok with remote but not random.

Bear in mind you will need a device password with spotify (may be different from your account password) gave me a few problems before I found this out.

A

Anonymous

OK, I see. So it is possible to use the remote for Spotify if you do not have an smartphone but it is easier to create playlists via the computer and once you have done this select with the remote control the playlists you wnat to play with the Onkyo. Did I understand you correctly?

Thanks very much for the info! thi sis very helpful. I have been calling Onkyo several times to ask this question but after being on the qeue for hours no one has ever picked up my calls or messages. Their bad customer service is putting me off a little bit if I have to be honest.

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
You picked it up fine. Only ever used remote apart fron making playlists.. The names that you give the playlists will be whats shown on the amp.

As for dealing with Onkyo can't comment but yhave to bear in mind the time of year.

T

the record spot

Send them a message on Twitter, as for speakers try Q Acoustics 2050i if you can.

A

Anonymous

Thanks both. Very useful.

RS: Do you think there is a chance that the Q Acoustics 2050is will do better than the Tannoy V4s. I am asking this becasue I see the price tag difference (259 vs 395) is considerable and unless I could get much better sound quality with The Qs I would rather get the Tannoys and save 140 pounds

T

the record spot

Haven't hear them directly, but thought with your musical tastes, your room size then the Qs would be good, but best to listen first. The Tannoys would be good too, but you'd really need to hear them.

A

Anonymous

OK. Thanks. Will give it a try with a local shop and see if they have them in the store and I could try to test my amplifier when I get it. Wish me luck :)

T

the record spot

Yep, hope it goes well - let us know how you get on!

A

Anonymous

RS,

Thanks for your advice re. speakers for the Onkyo TX8050. I went to my local shops and heard pretty much everything they had in my budget range: Dali Zensor 5 and Zensor 7, B&W 685, Mission mx3 (i believe), some Epos (cant remember model, maybe epic 1?). I could not find any Q Acoustics 2050i in the shops.

I must say your were spot on with your recommendation and the Tannoy v4s were the winners. The sound was very open while still having nice smooth and envolving bass. I think my sencod choice would have been the Epos or the Dali 5 followed by the B&W 685, although I tested the Epos and Dalis at different shops and it is difficult to compare. I have also realised I am not a mission person :)

In any case I think the Tannoy v4s were clear winners for me. Thanks a lot for your recommendation!

Would you recommend any speaker cables? Sorry for the continuous questions and thanks again.

Martin

T

the record spot

Hi Martin, glad you had a good day out! Nice choice in the Tannoys.

As for speaker cable, I just use good quality 400-strand OFC cable, single wired into the speaker, and it's unbranded and unterminated. I bought mine from an electronics shop called Maplin in Edinburgh, 6m cost around £18 for me (that's £18 all in, not per metre by the way).

In the past, I've bought 322-strand OFC cable off Ebay for £5 for 10m. Either is where my money would go again. I used to use Audioquest Type IV and the difference if any is very minimal to my ears. As AQ Type IV is around £13 a metre these days, it's an easy decision for me. Either way, try the cheap stuff out first and see what you think - you're talking the cost of what, a couple of drinks in a bar at most and you'll find the stuff locally easily enough I'm sure.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to drag an old thread back up, but Brussels, what source (CD player/model etc) do you use? I have the V4's and the Onkyo and together with my Marantz CD63 KI it sounded very poor. So much so I used them for a day and boxed them up (my own fault for not properly auditioning my equipment with them)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts