Scamps

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone. I’m a newbie and have let my tech knowledge slip over the last ten years as I’ve had other priorities. I’ve a 806 Philips ambi on order. I tape a lot of free view on my current humax box. But I wonder if I should buy new humax or get bt tv so I can record and store. Are there options? Also how do I combat loss in sound quality running Ariel through box and not tv? Any help would be fab please. Stay well everyone : )Thanks

abacus

The Ariel socket on a PVR is only a pass through for the TV, all the picture and sound goes through the HDMI cable.
Any of the modern PVRs will do as you want (Humax, Manhattan etc.), the main differences between them being the smart features included on them and the amount you can record, so just pick one that takes your fancy.

Bill

Scamps

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
The Ariel socket on a PVR is only a pass through for the TV, all the picture and sound goes through the HDMI cable.
Any of the modern PVRs will do as you want (Humax, Manhattan etc.), the main differences between them being the smart features included on them and the amount you can record, so just pick one that takes your fancy.

Bill
Thanks Bill appreciate that. Out of interest do you know why I had to have my tv volume on full when I plugged in my Humax otherwise the sound levels were so low? I controlled volume using the humax control. Thanks

Scamps

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
Most STB allow you to set a fixed output level (Assuming you are using HDMI or Optical/Coaxial output), and the volume is then controlled by the TV which will solve the problem you are having.

Bill
Sweet : ). Great knowledge l Bill. yes I will. My mate used to work at Sevenoaks and he drilled into me importance of connects and decent speaker wire. do You have any sound systems you favour for a new tv please? I’ve read bad things about rumbles in the base box of the 7 channel Philips atmos one I assumed id get for my tv so I’m wondering about Sonos or Sony now. Think I’ve ruled out separates for space and aesthetics as it is my lounge not a screening room.. thanks for box advice though. Appreciate it . Enjoy your weekend: )

abacus

Make sure you listen before you buy as everybody's perception of sound is different.
So long as the cables are of good quality (You don't need to spend a fortune on them) that's all you need. (For 99% of systems Amazon Basics (And similar) are fine)
Don't believe what the Hi-Fi cable manufactures spit out as most of it is BS, which is why if you ask them to provide evidence, they can't.
Enjoy

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts